ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safe oil for lube.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I use pellgunoil on my pumpmaster, I dont have to worry about seals crumbling do I?
    Jeremy, I think cdnairgunner is refering to airguns that have only had Pellgun oil and are aged also. My personal opinion, and I am almost a new to this as you are, is that all seals will eventually fail no matter what oil you use. So it is probably safe to say, without getting tooo much grief, that your current use of pell gun oil is not going to have you gun fail prematurely.... Just get a better grade of oil next time.
    This is just my uninformed opinion and should not be taken as gospel; it is an opinion derived from my reading between the lines.

Thanks. Silicone it is until I order some parts and throw in some Crosman lube.

Hadn't really thought about it, my pumper days were pre-PCP when I never thought about HPA and oil.... I used to use pellgun oil, even on the pump cup, just a drop now and then.... I never had any problem, but I'd never even consider using it on a PCP, and pumpers can run up to 1500 psi, so the safe bet would be a pure Silicone oil on the pump cup, although you could in theory use pellgun oil on the pivots.... Problem is, oil can migrate if a gun is stored in certain orientations, and that drop you put on the pivot might just end up in the pump tube....

Again, I've never had a problem, but from now on I'm going to use a Silicone lube on my pumpers.... Better safe than sorry, I guess.... What do Crosman recommend, Eric?....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Pellgunoil- i.e. petroleum lube. Keep in mind they've been selling Pellgunoil for 30+ years, long before they ever considered getting into the PCP lineup, for use on all their Co2 and pump-up guns. I would suggest that the flash point of pellgunoil (basically thin oil- i.e. SAE-5 or so) is either higher than 1500*, or that whatever the flash point, it cannot be generated in a typical pumper- i.e. no one can pump rapidly enough to approach the PCP pressure change rate that would generate the sort of heat required. That being said- one of your "uber pumpers" might (?) be a different story.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

I thought that was their recommendation.... I wonder if the Delrin piston I melted was partially due to oil combustion?.... Probably not, I never noticed any "kick" while pumping, which would be the first symptom I would think.... I see Sean has experienced it, though.... Like I said, never considered it before.... With the large headspace from the rubber cups in Crosman guns they probably can't develop enough heat and pressure.... With a flat-topped piston and rapid pumping and lots of pumps?.... I wonder.... hmmmmmmmmm....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

I think if someone tries hard enough, they can make anything not outside the realm of reality occur. That being said, short of pumping with an FTP 50+ times rapidly, I think igniting a petroleum-based lube in a typical off-the-shelf pumper, even modified is not too likely.

There are always stories of people having done something- i.e. the melted delrin pistons or igniting a petroleum lube in a pumper- but these are usually at the extreme ends of the concept- i.e. 50 pumps, or 50+ pumps with a metal piston- not where 99.9% of people are going to find themselves generally. If the concept is to "break the box"- this can always be achieved- but should it mean everyone should conduct themselves in a regular day-to-day setting in a manner orienting at addressing a break-the-box scenario? Not really. If someone is going to test "extremes" then I would agree they should use the best materials for the job, but for Joe and Fred who are not attempting to test the extremes, or even come near approaching them, this is not a requirement.

I think what we are having here is a back-forth of "extreme engineering" vs. "common use"- which if we take it too far means no one leaves their house in the morning without putting on an armoured, anti-UV radiation suit.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Ha ha ha... That is funny Eric. I do put on an anti-UV suit in the morning. The sun is so blasted close to the equator.

So the thing that makes Pell gun oil the recomendation (other than the fact Crosman sells the product) is the low flash point? So the issue here is flash point and not petrol based product? What about the "eats the seals" story that seems so popular?

You know me... All I know is what I read and I have read many interesting things about airguns that pass as "fact." Personally, I would rather read of you guys breaking the box than find out by breaking the bank on my pleasant pasttime.

I think one of the important points of what I said got overlooked.

Especially sprays that use butane or propane as the propellant....it's rather exciting having the pump fly out of your hand with a jolt.
    Not only can it be done but in fact I did it on Friday with Mr Erics 1400.

I have a favorite lubricant that has amazingly high lubricity that I like to use on pump assemblies...Unfortunately it's a spray. No problem if you allow the carrier to flash off.

Seals are not the issue. Buna nitrile is compatible with any petroleum product your likely to put in a pellet gun. For me the issue is gumming. That's what I see all the time. Cheap regular oils turn into varnish.

So I recommend Synthetic sewing machine oil for everything.It's available at any sewing store
    Last edited by SeanMP; Aug 30 2012 at 06:43 AM.
    Sean

Here is the MSDS from Crosman http://www.crosman.com/pdf/msds/MSDS-PELLGUNOIL.pdf
    and the flyer from the actual manufacturer http://www.le-international.com/uplo...50%20Flyer.pdf
    It's a nice read

That is really funny. They are selling a thimble full of diesel oil from a standard that's been obsolete since 1995.

So in terms of lubricants that will exceed the performance of this in a BUNA Nitrile, compressed air environment

Any TDTO oil
    Any 10-20 W Hydraulic oil
    Any synthetic compressor oil
    Any synthetic air tool oil
    Any synthetic #1 or #2 machine oil
    Any turbine oil
    Sean

+ Reply to Thread