ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: good news

Quote Originally Posted by DocGadget View Post
    So what you're saying is (to use a more modern term) they're trolling them!?! Hmmm that really wouldn't be a career for me.
    Holy sh!t.......I guess so!!
    Never looked at it that way, but yeah.

Oh, and Poil, tell that lady to prepare for the fact that 90% of what the recruiter told her was a half-truth, or downright lie.
    It may sound harsh, but it's just the name of the game.

Cheers,
    HS
    My YouTube channel: Tactical Fail Inc.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerSa...9?feature=mhee

Hehehe yes indeed. I've got a story to vouch for that

I joined as a cartographer (officer trade, ordinance map maker) on my way to basic training I was told "We don't have a course running through Regular Officer Training Program for a few months so we're going to send you to do your basic in Cornwallis then you'll just need the extra 4 week "officer part", then off to your trade

Well.....After spending three years in PPCLI and 2 CUDO and doing a tour in Gulf 1 and Bosnia I retired....The only time I ever saw a map was when I was trying to figure out where the bullets were coming from.
    Sean

what you guys mean by that?

she is semi qualified for the field she chose (collegial degree)

Quote Originally Posted by poil27 View Post
    Another example:

I joined as a Reservist.

I was told that I would take my courses, (Basic Military Qualification, and Soldier Qualification), over weekends, (as in, you show up Friday night, and go home Sunday evening....or so the recruiter told me.

Fast forward to the phone call I get at work one day,

SGT Clerk: "Private Sandwich?.....Yeah, your BMQ/SQ starts in Aldershot in 9 days. You'll be there for 7 and 1/2 weeks, so you'd better notify your employer."

ME:

Not to mention I went unpaid for a portion of that time, due to my unit's pay rules being different than other unit's rules.

And once I got back to the unit in Halifax, (1 Thursday a week, one weekend a month), the trade-specific course I was to take was six weeks long, in Aldershot, NS.....not great, but do-able.

I get to work on Thursday night, and get this;

Company Warrant Officer: "Private Sandwich......your trade course starts next Monday.....it's three months, and it's in Borden, Ontario. So you'd better make arrangements".

ME:

And so on, and so forth.
    It's a great career, and my favourite job I ever had, but my life lacked the flexibility necessary to progress.

This is from a Reservist's perspective, mind you. The Regular Forces are often more stable.....BUT NEVER PREDICTABLE. :)

Cheers Poil, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions, (although maybe not of SeanMP....(he was an officer, after all....)

Cheers,

HS

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Sandwich View Post
    I joined as a Reservist.

Cheers Poil, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions, (although maybe not of SeanMP....(he was an officer, after all....)

Cheers,
    HS
    Reservists...sheesh...Cant even read correctly

I never got the course Hammer...actually I don't think they ever intended to give me the course. I was private ground pounder/private jumper thumper
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by poil27 View Post
    I think, in summary, that everyone is basically saying that the armed forces will own your ass (or your girlfriend's in this case) and do whatever they please. DND and its setup is a funny place- a number of years ago I was given an offer to go work there as a civilian manager, and in the course of deciding if I wanted the job, I found all sorts of odd things- the funniest of which was that, in this position, in a meeting with Operational personnel, I would be granted the "rank" for the purposes of the meeting of "Lt. Colonel". Forget the silliness of such a concept- I did not take the job and always think of the MASH episode where everyone walks around addressing each other by title "Colonel. Doctor. Doctor. Colonel. Major. Doctor. Doctor..." Anyways, fact is, and I'd heard this many times in the past- recruiters will say just about anything to get a signature on paper- some of it true, maybe some of it not-so-true, but they do indeed "own you" once you've signed up. I knew a guy a number of years ago who signed up to be a Reservist (or so he thought)- turns out he had signed up for full-time service by not reading the form they stuck in front of him- and they wouldn't let him out of it easily when he discovered the error. He eventually said to them "f-you" before any sort of training or such, then was threatened with arrest for not complying with his training deployment orders. Last I heard of him (25 years ago) he was on hbis way to a bus station to take a trip to training camp...
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMP View Post
    Reservists...sheesh...Cant even read correctly

I never got the course Hammer...actually I don't think they ever intended to give me the course. I was private ground pounder/private jumper thumper
    Aw jeez!.......I dunt reed so goud............

In my defense, I was a Reservist....I only read 85% of a message! (oh how I crack myself up!)

But thanks for you service nonetheless Sean MP!!!

It is a life like no other...and I miss it terribly.
    I often think of putting my papers back in to try and re-enrol before I hit 40.

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    <snip>...but they do indeed "own you" once you've signed up. <snip>
    Very true, especially with the regulars.
    The troop gets sent wherever, whenever.

Now that the combat role is over, pretty much every job is cake, but you still hafta roll with whatever hand you're dealt.

+ Reply to Thread