ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: who will help start an AG club with dedicated range access in TO?

who will help start an AG club with dedicated range access in TO?

Hi folks,
    I am new here and am a member of the other national AG forum (as I suspect others maybe) and have recently been trying to raise a number of founding members for a toronto based AG club (open to anyone who wants to drive in.)
    I already have a private range committed to rent us every monday all year (save one monday every second month) exclussively and they have tabled a very reasonable rent already.
    50 foot range with 8 lanes. old small but very functional. 3 powder burner clubs shoot there currently.
    To start we need to incorporate not for profit as a club, register with CSSA as a club and individual members (to get insurance)
    I am hoping to get started with at least 20 serious founders...so far only 15 on the other forum...suprised me really.
    So if you want to shoot longer distance, year round, with others, legally, safely etc.......let me know via this thread.
    When I hit 20 between here and there we will switch to offline email communications to work as a group and get this happening.
    PS I am making NOTHING of this. It is real, legit and i thoght much needed but.....lets see.
    Shoot straight and shoot safe

plinkercase.ca

Why is no one in the GTA seem to be too interested in this idea? (I note on the other forum it doesn't appear to have exactly "taken off" either).

Maybe start out in the late spring (May or so) with an "airgun show" at the range to get people out, have shooting going on at the same time- sort of a double-motivator for things.

As a I recall from a few years ago, when there was an airgun show at Waterdown, when the shooting wasn't happening due to some club licensing issues, alot less people came to the show- and I'm thinking the reverse is also likely true. Put both together once or twice in the year- people might be very motivated to, if nothing else, at least come out and look. Really, it's all about getting people 'in the door' I suspect.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

good question. There are loads of threads about where to shoot and legal stuff about back yards and statements about how a range is needed...so here we are and yet.....I do have 20 interested guys/gals and am just collecting the email contacts to get going. We need an inc club with insurance before we can use the range for anything.
    I think once we get it running your idea of open house, show or match days will help build a broader membership.
    I suspect the real reason is people are busy, money is tight, time is tight and starting soemthing takes more than just joining something.
    I am hopeful though we are underway. If necessary I may look at seeding it myself or with partner just to get it going..... we'll see.
    anything like this in your area?

plinkercase.ca

The closest thing in Eastern Ontario is the EO Field Target group- they shoot at an airstrip east of Ottawa for scheduled events. Unfortunately for me, it's about 2 hours one-way for me to get there, so I don't get out nearly as often as I would prefer.

If your proposal is an already existing range with clubs operating out of it- why do you need an incorporation and insurance? Would it not be simpler for all the clubs to band together with one membership group? By having separate groups and members and fees- how is range time allocated to each?
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

The range is privately owned by the hoem club and there are currentyl 2 other clubs renting nights/days. They are all powder burner clubs and couldn't fit the airgunners into their current arragnments with as much time and freedom as we would want. Soem TO clubs have arigun match days througout the year but dont mix the types on range nights and you still have to pay full membership if all you do is AG.

We incorporate as not for profite to sign the lease, get CFO club recognition etc. so we can shoot over 500. The range and the CFO demand the insurances be in place. Not as expensive as I thought and is included with club CSSA membership. Individual members also need CSSA membership (or equivalent) and insurance. All just requiremetns of gettign our own dedicated night in the range and will help in the future if we want to set up out own range.

well worth it I think and frar more reasonable than I expected. the Range is motivated to fill the night and has offered what I gather from talking to others is a very reasonablerent and willing to negotiate lots of other details.

If you come to TO you can visit us!

plinkercase.ca

Hello:
    I'm new here and wondering if anything happened with this.
    I'm having a hard time figuring out where I can shoot my new airgun legally, and without freaking anyone out.

it is up and running for 3 plus years now and associated with a powder burner club on the same night.

email to info@torontoairgunclub.org

https://www.facebook.com/Greater-Tor...5351696579265/

plinkercase.ca

+ Reply to Thread