ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: .22 JSB Eact Heavy @ 50 yds

.22 JSB Exact Heavy @ 50 yds

First outdoor shoot of the year, today.

Target was the cap on this 4 L windshield washer fluid jug at 50 yds. Here's a look from the firing line, with the camera set on 50 mm lens equivalent:

I was using a 24" bbl 22-89 from a rest under the fore-arm. Scope is the always reliable Banner 4-12X A/O at 6X.

They landed a bit low, and to the left- about 3" with no correction on the scope from a sight-in at 12 M with the 14.3 gr Daisy h.p.

Five of the 18.1 gr heavies went into just under 1/2" on centers- despite the wind.
    To say I'm pleased with this performance would be a bit of an understatement. Now, to drive them fast enough for the terminal ballistics I know they're capable of ....

I'm a firm beleiver in arriving prepared:

Left to Right:

QB 78-D with Banner 3.5-10X A/O aboard.

22-89 with Banner 4-12X A.O

13-77 With Legend 4-12X 40 MM A/O

Marlin BB lever repeater by Crosman

Late phase 2/ Early phase 3 13-89 tube and grip frame in .177 Breech
    and bbl are current production.

Early phase 2 13-22 Medalist with current steel breech modified to
    take the original flow through bolt. 4 Reticle Bushnell Trophy red dot.
    It wears the original Medalist .22 bl.

No where near all of them- just a sampling...

I did hit that jug cap with a bit of Kaintucky windage and elevation on the first try:

Here's what the road in looked like- +24 C, beautiful early spring day.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; Mar 17 2012 at 11:57 PM.
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

+24C ???

What the heck is going on there?
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    +24C ???

Don't be too jealous, Eric. It's going to be +21*C here today.

It's supposed to be in the low-mid 20's all week. In fact, by wednesday they are calling for a humidex of +29 C!
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

Excellent Doc

That looks like a fun day at the range. And a nice looking range too. Do you have to travel far to get there?

I'm hoping that today is my day to get out and shoot up the contents of the recycling bin
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    +24C ???

That's the 3rd day in a row we've broken temp. records. If I was a betting man (which I'm not), I'd say it was that solar flare that erupted 10 days or so ago. That's just an uneducated guess...

That gravel pit is about a 45 minute drive from my front door, with me observing the posted speed limits.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sharptail View Post
    That's the 3rd day in a row we've broken temp. records. If I was a betting man (which I'm not), I'd say it was that solar flare that erupted 10 days or so ago. That's just an uneducated guess...

Or Global Warming, if you believe in that kind of thing... :)
    Confucious says: He who slings mud, often loses ground!

One of my favourite pellets.... They shoot well in most of my guns.... It's interesting that the .25 cal JSB 25.4 gr. Exact Kings have nearly the same Sectional Density (actually, they are a bit higher SD) and they are a favourite pellet with the quarter bore crowd, especially at long ranges.... The 10.3 gr. JSB Exact Heavies in .177 have a slightly lower SD, but again, they have a good reputation at long range.... I'm thinking there must be a design sweet spot working there somewhere.... Nothing completely mathmatical, though....

Scaling up the pellet by the cube of the bore: 10.3 gr. in .177 works out to 19.0 gr. in .22 cal (0.217") and 29.0 gr. in .25 cal
    Scaling up the pellet keeping the same SD (ie by the square of the bore): 10.3 gr. in .177 works out to 15.4 gr. in .22 cal and 20.5 gr. in .25 cal

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Nice to see this back on topic. The only other long range I've shot at was with the 10.1 gr ultra mag in .177. It gave similar performance at 50. Stretching it to 75 yds saw the groups open up to 3". I wouldn't be surprised to see the .22 heavy exhibit similar behaviour- simply because I'm nit driving them fast enough for those distances.
    The other problem is the wind- it seems to be a constant factor for me. It's rare to be outdoors here with winds minimal enough not to disturb shooting. It something that we all have to live with. I do try to shoot directly down wind whenever I can, but this isn't always possible.

Something you asked a while back kind of bugs me- about the lack of waisted pellets in the above quarter bore class. I could be as wrong as heck about this, but I think a properly proportioned weight to length ratio pellet in the bigger bores would become un-managably long- perhaps too long to fit into a workable sized breech... Like I said, I could be big time wrong on this, but I think I'm getting close...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Actually, if you scale up that 10.3 gr. .177 cal JSB Heavy using the cube of the bore, you get a pellet that looks exactly the same.... The weights would be.... 54 gr. in .308 cal.... 85 gr. in .357 cal.... and 177 gr. in .457 cal.... There is a 78 gr. EunJin pellet in .357 cal (9mm) which is close.... Scaling pellets directly is possible, it just doesn't seem to be commonly done....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

+ Reply to Thread