ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Review: CenterPoint Adventure 4-16x40 Dual Illumination Scope with A/O

Review: CenterPoint Adventure 4-16x40 Dual Illumination Scope with A/O

The CenterPoint Adventure 4-16x40 Mil-Dot, Dual Illumination Scope with Adjustable Objective

I’m gonna preface this by stating that I am a hobby shooter. I don’t compete, I don’t spend thousands of dollars on guns & gear....shoot, I still don’t even know how to work ChairGun. So take this review with the appropriate aliquot of Sodium Chloride.

So here we are.

First, a little background. Last year, I purchased a Benjamin Trail NP all weather in .22. I really like the gun, and also liked the CenterPoint 4-9x40 scope that came with it.

The reason I wanted to purchase the 4-16x40 was that I have a Quest that had a terrible god-awful abortion of a scope, and if I upgraded my BJ’s scope, I could then move the BJ’s scope to the Quest.
    Good idea, right?

First, we’ll talk about price. I did some quick searching for comparably equipped scopes, and came up with:

-The Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm, with a list price of $354.
    -The Konus Konuspro M30 4.5-16x40mm Tactical Rifle Scope, with a list price of $480.
    - The Schmidt and Bender Police Marksman II 4-16x42mm Rifle Scope, with a list price of $3500.

I know it’s kind of ridiculous, but it does give you an idea of what one could pay for glass.
    I’d always heard the rule of thumb that you should pay 3 times the price of the rifle on glass......well.....f9ck that.....

I purchased my CenterPoint from scopesandammo.com, for a price of $119.99 (plus tax & shipping).

Now, I know you’re saying to yourself, “Oh come on Hammer, you sexy, sexy idiot! You can’t get decent glass for that price!
    And you would be incorrect....well, about the glass anyways.

INSTALLATION:
    The scope mounted quickly and easily to the weaver rail on my BJ. So there’s that...it’s pretty idiot-proof. If you can’t work weaver rail, pack up your gun & sell it, because your sh!t is straight retarded.

ZEROING:
    I tend to zero pretty loosely, as most of my shooting is stuff like a 1-inch square at 10m. The scope came in quickly. One of the great features is the “zero-locking” rings. You loosen the rings, adjust, and then tighten the rings. This way, you don’t have to worry about inadvertent rotation of your windage and elevation knobs. And if you’re oafish and clumsy like me, this is a nice feature.

ZERO RESETTING:
    I like this a lot. What you can do here is disengage the windage and elevation knobs once you’ve zeroed, and then re-set the knob itself back to zero, (without making any clicks). This actually renders the hashmarks on the dials useful!

I tend to shoot at either 10meters....or 20 meters. That’s about it. The zero reset gives me the opportunity to zero at 10, set the knob to 0, and then determine how many clicks I need to shoot at 20, and then adjust. I’m actually able to use the maths and fine-tune from there.

Which brings us to:

THE KNOB SAYS ¼ MOA @100yds....IS THIS TRUE?:
    On this scope, it is. I was landing pellets an inch low, and half an inch left. I did some rough math for 10 meters, and adjusted by clicks. My POA became my POI. The clicks are true to what they claim.

ADJUSTABLE OBJECTIVE:
    Yet another great feature. The ring is nice and easy to operate, and the markings seem to mate up with actual distance really well. This may not sound like a big deal, but if you want to go from 10 yards to 25 quickly, just use the markings, and then fine tune from there. A nice treat.

RED/GREEN ILLUMINATED RETICLE!!!!!!:

Meh.

4-16x MAGNIFICATION:
    This was the big selling point for me. I like magnification, and the 4-16 is just perfect for my application.
    I’ve found so far, that at full magnification, under loads of fluorescent light, this scope tends to lose some clarity, and have some...I’ll call it “cloudiness” throughout the sight picture.

I found I could totally negate this effect by dimming the ambient light, and lighting the target.

Up to about 12x magnification, the sight picture is super-duper clear. Above that, it gets a little blurry, but this is not a huge deal at all. Still more than clear enough for detailed sighting. (Plus, I haven’t had an eye appointment for awhile, so it not might be entirely the scope’s fault).

Overall, I am really impressed with this scope. I don’t have loads of experience with different scopes, but from what I’ve seen, this thing is tits.

I would’ve been fine with a simple 3-16x scope, without the illumination, locking rings....etc, but these luxury items add even more value to a scope that is already a great value. For the money, the CenterPoint Adventure 4-16x40 is champagne for those on a beer budget. I’m glad I dropped the cash for it.

Happy shooting;

Hammer Sandwich
    My YouTube channel: Tactical Fail Inc.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerSa...9?feature=mhee

Hammer
    That center point scope you are talking about, thats what came with my C TIRE BENJAMIN CLASSIC 22 non PAL rated.Worked fine.......until i installed a 4'' stroke piston, n
    ow same as QUEST 500.Took maybe 3 shots blue the scope internals to hell, it's now a piece of junk.
    SORRY 3 x 9 power but same class.

The problem with all these scopes is that they are also made in China and it can be a real debate as to which ones are good, which ones not so much. I have a couple Chinese-made scopes that have held up A-1 on Magnum springers (which you would never guess from the price on them), and some that were just junk out-of-the-box, and cost more. That's the whole problem with the Chinese units, seems people have to figure out the "hard way" which are decent and which aren't.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by maurice View Post
    Hammer
    That center point scope you are talking about, thats what came with my C TIRE BENJAMIN CLASSIC 22 non PAL rated.Worked fine.......until i installed a 4'' stroke piston, n
    ow same as QUEST 500.Took maybe 3 shots blue the scope internals to hell, it's now a piece of junk.
    SORRY 3 x 9 power but same class.
    Maybe you got a stinker....I didn't.

For $120....I wasn't expecting much, but I got a helluva deal.

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    The problem with all these scopes is that they are also made in China and it can be a real debate as to which ones are good, which ones not so much. .....
    Well, funny enough, the second scope on the list I put up (Konus Konuspro M30), has exactly the same features as the CenterPoint, but goes for $480.

And, as mentioned in the review I read.....IS MADE IN CHINA.

I'm pretty ******* happy you're pimpin' the quality stuff at good prices, AirGunEric.

But, that's just my opinion.

HS
    My YouTube channel: Tactical Fail Inc.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerSa...9?feature=mhee

Much like the Chinese airguns, optics are all made by the same "corporate group" in a small conglomeration of buildings next to one another in China. The scopes, with different levels of features or "gimmicks" are sold by numerous companies; CenterPoint, Leapers, NcStar, lower-end Bushnell and Tasco, and probably 10 other companies (i.e. maybe Konus)- so what you are getting when you purchase from a different seller is potentially slightly different "features", quality and support. So, for example, the Bushnell and CenterPoint products have in-Canada support (warranty and such) by either the company itself (i.e. Bushnell) or a dedicated representative (Crosman/CenterPoint) whereas the others- i.e. Leapers or NcStar, are supported only by the specific store you bought it from. In my case, I have done this with NcStar products and have gone -at and -away from Leapers a couple times (they are difficult to get along with and begrudgingly deal with warranty issues from what people have experienced). Bushnell defects are quite low, CenterPoints defects reasonably low, the others are a total crap-shoot. As an example I had to experiment quite significantly over time with NcStar to figure out what was "good" vs. what was "crap" and stopped selling the crap. To take on another Chinese line would also also be the same thing, so I may only expand on the CenterPoint products and go back to Bushnell/Tasco in the future. Something else to note; the Chinese don't throw anything away, so alot of "seconds" get sold as copies/clones, sometimes with the original company that contracted to have the items built still on them- i.e. counterfeit Bushnells, Leapers, whatever- so purchasing scopes from Hong Kong vendors is even more a crap-shoot.

Anyways, enough about the "scope world"- I'm just glad you got what works for you and it should hold up. If it doesn't there is full warranty support behind it from Crosman/CenterPoint. Same thing with Maurice- if your rifle is still under its warranty period- you could get that scope exchanged through CenterPoint.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

It's comforting to know that we have Eric on our side when it comes to finding the right hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by maecolis View Post
    It's comforting to know that we have Eric on our side when it comes to finding the right hardware.
    X2
    Confucious says: He who slings mud, often loses ground!

+ Reply to Thread