ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Stretch Now!

The more I think about it, the more sense having a small regulated bottle on the gun makes. An "a-ha" moment for me, yes. I'm betting there's a few around here wondering when I would get to it

Is there a bottle around small enough for me to manage with the Hill pump?

For my current set-up, a reverse tank block is gonna be the most practical way...

There's no big rush on this yet- I'm having a great time with the 3K tube. But I fear it will become one of those hard to scratch itches...

I'm thinking it will end up being easier on the gun, especially for the reduced striker spring pre-load, and I'm pretty sure lowering pressure on the gun side will be advantageous some how...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

I'm betting there's a few around here wondering when I would get to it
    LOL...it was only a matter of time, Doc!

A 13 ci bottle reg'd to 1500-1600 psi should work nicely for you. IIRC, it takes me around 255 strokes from my Hill pump to fill from 0 - 3000 psi (85 strokes per 1000 psi +/-). This was using a 30" S/S hose from Eric, but if you are using the shorter fill hose that came with the pump, you can knock a few strokes off that total.

Granted, my '78 is .177, but with a full 3000 psi shooting down to 1500 psi using a 13 ci bottle I am getting anywhere from 108 shots @ 16.7 FPE to 510 shots @ 3 FPE, depending where I set the RVA...

Bob has thee best looking/functional reverse tank block I've seen by far, but for us guys with no lathe (and in my case - the smart's to make such a block) this might be an option for you? http://www.canadianairguns.com/showt...-AR2078A-stock , although the 3K tube is longer than a stock one so it might make it more "nose-heavy" as a result.

Hope this helps somewhat, or at least give you some food for thought! Good luck scratching that itch!

Cheers,
    Todd

P.S - Plus, if you running 1500-1600 psi as opposed to 2000 psi (or higher), your factory valve stem seal shouldn't give you any problems. I've had my gun pressurized at 1500 psi for about 1 year now with roughly 3000 shots through it with no problems at all.
    Last edited by sholo; Apr 16 2013 at 05:29 AM.
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

I'm currently @ 37-42 pumps on the 3K tube: 2400 on the pump gauge-22-2300 in the gun by my calculations.

Depending on how my back feels, and how tired I am, I sometimes take a 5-10 min. break around stroke #20. Not always, though. On a good day for me I can fill the gun non-stop.
    By what I'm reading here, I'll probably need 3, maybe 4 rest breaks filling that 13 ci bottle from empty. It should get easier than that, after the initial fill. I don't shoot the gun right down when I'm shooting strings- I'm guessing I refill around the 1300 psi mark- which = around 12-17 pumps or so.

I suppose the only way to find out is to try. Mean-while, I have a bit of pellet work-up to do... haven't had this much fun since discovering the "finer" things.

Wonder what Freud would of made out of perusing this forum?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Was shooting the gun down tonight, so I could get the breech off. Last shot before empty tube, something goes "toing". It was loud enough to have me thinking hammer spring. Gave the gun a shake and no rattles.

Went ahead and did the t.p. Put the gun back together, and pumped up to 850 psi. Another leak at the breech. Kept ripping bbl o-ring #1, and replacing it. I had been dipping into the wrong o-rings compartment - they were too big/loose, and rolled out of the groove too easily, and ripped themselves on that first edge going into the breech. Finally got the gun to no leaks at 600-850 psi. Back up to 2200 PSI, and I'm back at the lemming leap for strings. I bet it's that hammer spring- not surprising considering all the over/under compression I've been putting it through.

Enough for one night. I'll have at it again tomorrow night...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Got the top end to where it doesn't leak. Gun now leaks from the valve stem on firing @ 1500 psi and below. I don't have any curve to my strings, either. Top of the string isn't bad- the first ten shots decline about 10 fps for each shot. Over-all velocity is down about 200 fps for the hammer spring pre-load I'm using.

I'm going to have to leave this, until I can get a couple of more replacement valves in. Apparently, 2200-2400 PSI is enough to make the stem seal flow/extrude...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Apparently, 2200-2400 PSI is enough to make the stem seal flow/extrude...
    If you're still using the stock QB valve poppet seal, I would think that likely.... It distorts pretty badly at 1600 psi over longer periods of time.... Delrin is required at higher pressures....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Hi Bob:

Yes, I'm still on the factory stem seal. They are not lasting long. Going back through my notes, I got about 180 shots out of the last one.

I'm just wondering if it's the pressure alone that is doing the damage, or firing on pressures around the 2200-2400 mark. 2400 is the highest I've taken it. I note the fill adapter in-shear screw heads slightly pushed against the tube wall... That stem must be really slamming home at 2200. Any thoughts?

I think I'm almost there. If I can't come across either delrin stems, or stem seals, I'll take both pressure and caliber down for this tube. Either way, I won't be leaving a .177 out of my plans...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

I would think SeanP could make you a Delrin stem no problem....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sharptail View Post
    If I can't come across either delrin stems, or stem seals, I'll take both pressure and caliber down for this tube.
    Eric now has them listed on his site: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/...2-rifles-p-886

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

Great news. I'll be putting an order in this coming friday.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

+ Reply to Thread