ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosman Odds and Sods...

Crosman Odds and Sods...

Hi Fellas... This one is for Eric, seeing as I keep bothering the poor fellow for parts... and more parts... and did I mention I needed some more parts? I'm pretty sure Eric thinks I've got a couple screws loose... Who the heck needs so many parts!?!?!

Well, here are some pics for you all to enjoy... And for the record, I'm not *that* crazy... Mostly crazy... But in a good way.

Here is the stock 1377 barrel with a shroud...

Really long shroud on an 18in barrel...

A shrouded 14 inch 1377 and stock 2289.

You can see the brass FTP... I wanted a bit more weight on the 1377 - to make it more stable...

Um... These are for me... hehe... For other little projects...

Above are some of my recent toys...

The First rifle is a shorty 2260 I made for myself mounting a Mendoza Sight. (Yes, Eric, that's what I wanted the sight for...)
    The Second rifle is actually my wife's. She wanted something a little prettier than my workhorse.. and smaller for her frame. Usually this one mounts a nice little 4x22 or 4x30 scope. Stay uprange from my wife. Seriously.
    Both rifles 1 and 2 have brass transfer ports and modified custom springs (Both currently at 500 with 14.7gr CPs). The wife's has more bling and a brass degassing plug on the tube. These two and the Disco have modded adjustable triggers.
    The Third Rifle is my old 2260... You can tell from the whiteish band around the butt that she's about 15 years old. She's stock. I didn't have the heart to tear this one apart... So I bought parts from Eric instead...
    The last rifle is my newly assembled Disco - sub 500, I'm in the process of accurizing her. I agree with Eric, the stock is fugly. I've been working on this one off and on for a little while - with the stock coming in yesterday... hehe...

Here's a closer view of the Shortys and the 2260. I'm probably going to remake that bolt for the Wife with a bent post and ball.

I'm actually very surprised that Crosman retired the 2260 - she's a wonderful workhorse and I really like the simplicity of the design. Costwise, she's more expensive than a 2250 to manufacture because of the wood stock, but she's essentially the same internally. If Crosman were to bring in some new polymer stocks for these while keeping the action, I'm sure they would fly off the shelves. All they would need would be some of the Trail AW or even the 22 Classic TH stocks modded for this action - and I know that the allure of CO2 would be significant. Same goes for the Disco since she's mechanically the same.

It would be wonderful for Crosman to consider a "low-midrange" PCP - cheaper than the Disco, and more accessible by using CO2 powerlets. This one would be for those just getting into the PCP market, but not sure if they really want to jump with all the gear costs involved. If they rebooted the stocks and updated the design I think these would be a contender.

(Eric, now you see why I was running out of CO2 powerlets... These things are too damned much fun.)

I hope everyone here has enjoyed the show...

I have one last pic of a rifle that I've made using a Hatsan cylinder, Crosman barrel and a purchased stock... She isn't finished... i still have to oil the heck out of her, gotta make a nice trigger, and put a guard on her... Shroud is currently optional.

Hope everyone has a great day!
    Cheers Everyone!

Maecolis those are great pics and some great DIY mods as well! Do you sell to others or only make parts for your own projects?
    Confucious says: He who slings mud, often loses ground!

Those are great pics and I admire your knowledge and your ambition. I would really like to know more about that laminate stock in the last photo. Where did you buy it, and the cost (if you say that asking that is okay with you). When you get that baby oiled up it is going to knock your eyes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn View Post
    ... When you get that baby oiled up it is going to knock your eyes out.
    That's the first time I've heard something like that said in a shooting context.....giggity......

All joking aside, that laminate stock is ridiculous, just awesome!
    My YouTube channel: Tactical Fail Inc.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerSa...9?feature=mhee

Greease me up Woman! I'm going in!

To answer some of the questions...

I do make the occasional part for others... Currently I don't have much time. My work keeps me rather busy. I work in research designing and building robots that do therapeutic Ultrasound in MRIs and CT scanners. THAT is hard. This stuff... not so much... I think my standards are skewed though...

That said, I do have a list of government jobs that I add to upon occasion. Likely in the spring I will have a bit more time and be able to churn out more toys. I do sell the occasional rifle I'm tired of - but because they are usually parts builds, they'd be nominally more expensive than just going out to buy one new. You get the mods and exactly how you want it, but it depends on the person.

The rifle stock for the custom .22 was a purchase from Richard's Microfit Stocks. I'm of mixed emotions regarding them as their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. The stocks are actually made in China (When I got my stocks, they had Chinese newspapers for padding - and at the time the papers were recent). The factory that made them is heavy on the manual duplicators. If you order from them, I suggest buying from their return and closeout pile as those are on-hand items. I had to wait a LONG while for the alterations on mine and even when they shipped them to me, they were uninletted and sanding to get the stock usable was a stone cold beotch.

Just checked their site... Someone returned or abandoned a QB78 tackdriver stock. They're offering it for $99. If they still have the QB and it is in decent shape, I'm probably going to snatch it up by Monday. Which means that Eric's going to be getting some more business from me... Again... Dammit. :p

Oh, Eric... Telephone! I think I hear my wallet calling...

As a side note... the AR2078A came in... Nice rifle... A bit on the rough side. Had to clean some threads, deburr some edges and I'll probably have to do a bit of clean up work on the thing. The dipoter sights are OK but the standard post sights are pretty hideous (The support was bent and the markings looked like a drunk was painting them...). In general, the QC on the rifles could be better, but the engineering on the things are pretty sound. I think it's an influence from the Russian School of Engineering. Make STRONG! Nothing a bit of time and elbow grease won't fix.

Cheers folks, and thanks for the kudos.

That is some nice work. You running a CNC for those breeches, or is each one completely manual?

Also, that is some news about the Microfit stocks (also explains why the only airgun they had stocks for is the QB). Disappointing, however, as I went to them awhile back about a half-dozen QB stocks, and after selecting the wood/laminate, adding a butt pad and such- no "dealer discount" was applicable and they would be over $200.00 each, meaning that the price would be ridiculously high to re-sell. Definitely the customer service left a bit to be desired, but I thought this was forgivable if they were one of the few people still making stocks here. Knowing they are coming from China is disappointing, and also quite aggravating based on the prices they want for things- you can't tell me a laminate stock (ie. relatively simple) should sell for more than the rifle it fits on (i.e. more complicated), if both are made in China.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Microfits are made in CHINA?.....Bugger!

I've done several bedded 10/22's for guys and told them they were solid made in in america stuff.
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by maecolis View Post
    Greease me up Woman! I'm going in!.....
    I have no dog in this thread....but that's friggin' brilliant.
    I haven't heard that sh!t in years....good show.

(and I retreat back to my lane)
    My YouTube channel: Tactical Fail Inc.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerSa...9?feature=mhee

I'm actually more interested in Boyd's stocks nowadays... They have some nice uninletted ones like the Blaster that they've FINALLY got in more colours than just pepper and nutmeg. The Sky Blue Blaster is something I REALLY want to get my hands on. The down side is that they won't process orders over $100 - so me ordering 3 stocks at a time is a bit... difficult. Still, the prices are better, and now that the selection is better, I know I'm barreling down that avenue. Oh, and they make their stocks in-house in the US of A. The uninletted stocks are unfinished... but at $54 plus shipping, I can live with that. I'm thinking that my Disco would look sexy in blue... And my shorty would be a drool toy in Camo... My wife wants royal purple. No accounting for taste. I married her. I knew what I was getting myself into.

Richard's stocks are pricey, to say the least... And the fact that they come unfinished is a bit of a shot to the teeth when you look at their prices. If you absolutely have to have what they sell, you'll pay for it... But... if the price of the stock is way beyond the cost of the action, you got to ask yourself if it really is worth it. It isn't hard to rack up a $250 stock - and what you get is unfinished and you have to wait 16 weeks to get it (literally, a slow boat from China). Not a happy place. Personally, I'm of a mind to dupe their Tackdriver if I manage to complete my router - and reinlet them for my own toys. Work, however, has other plans.

As for my machining, those receivers were done manually. I did do one on the CNC and I do have some programs written for the lathe and mill, but, unless I'm making a lot, I'm keeping it manual. It's a hobby for now - something completely different from my day job.

Cheers!

(Did I mention that there are WAY too many smileys!?!?! I can barely keep track of them all!)

I added a crapload of smilies to the "standard" collection- which the system picked up and put funny labels on (i.e. "icon-smile"). It somehow missed a couple too. It would be nice if they were sorted alphabetically...

But those breeches look good, and the stock situation in general definitely needs some more 'players' I think.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

+ Reply to Thread