ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanting to build a bullpup qb78d

Wanting to build a bullpup qb78d

Hello there, I am very new to the forum. For the past few weeks I have been reading post after post. I finished going over the ar2028a I got from Eric. It has turned out to be an excellent gun. It has far exceeded my expectations in all respects since it landed on my door step. I Milled slots in the valve to get it to breathe better. I got rid of the screen,felt and tube inside but maintained the piercing pin. I am running it on hpa but would like to be able to use co2 in a pinch as tank refills aren't just around the corner. I polished the insides up including the trigger assembly. Counter bored the valve and breech to provide a nice nest for the poly tube. It worked fantastic. I refaced the barrel 11deg and machined up a brass piece and recrowned the barrel using relief valve burnishing paste. Made it a lot more accurate out at 40the yards (I the furthest I can shoot at home) I added a utg 6" Bipod and am using a borrowed (possibly a gift!) Batsman 6-24 scope. Its a lot of scope but I don't get around well so be able to see my groupings close up is great! I wouldn't have been able to do this without your guys help. All the time that has been put into assembling the information is much appreciates. Thank-you. I would not have know where to start or what to do without the information.
    I should move back to the subject of the title. I would like to make a qb78d into a bullpup. They are selling bullpup pellet guns in Canada and they are legal, I was on the ramp website but still couldn't figure out what's legal or not. It is not going to be a copy or replica of any sort. The overall length I was looking at was close to 31"with 16" from trigger to rear of stock. With all the models now being sold in Canada and there differences I can't come up with what there doing as to be legal versus what I want to do. I don't want to step in a pile of @%@@ on this so there is no point in starting anything until I am sure it is legal. It will be a 495fps or under and just for my personal use. Any help you could give me would be much appreciated. I apologize if there are some crammed issues with this post. My computer is down and out ans if I go back and try to correct things from my phone I risk a worse mess or losing the post entirely. Its happened to many names times! Thanks. Jeff

I can't find the legal source or RCMP "opinion" on it at the moment- but bullpup stocks are generally prohibited in Canada. Some rifles that ship from the factory with an integrated bullpup have been allowed in- it's the stock that are removable (i.e. move from one action to another action) and not fully integrated that seems to be the issue.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

I have been searching in vain trying to find the answers to my question. Ir looks like I would have an easier time buying a semi auto .50 Cal bullpup in Canada then getting the answers I need. If I had the funds I would just go buy Tue. 50 Cal. I couldn't believe that they were available! A friend of mine has a .50 Cal single shot and I thought it was incredible that it was legal! What I have learned is that the bullpup stock has to be an integral part of the design. If the barrel and action are removed the gun would be incapable or firing. That no other barrel and action could be fitted to the fun and used. The tough one is that it can't significantly reduce the overall length of the gun. So it appears that all I have to do is design my own bullpup From the ground up. I would like to just modify a qb78 to fit the stock, leave the trigger assembly in the gun so when removed it cannot be fired (a little tricky but doable) no other qb or any other gun for that matter would be able to.be fitted to it and the gun would be useless without the stock. Just that tricky point about reducing its length. I was planning on doing a scratch build airgun but I was looking at easing myself into it. Looks like I may have to find out the exact guidelines and just dive in the deep end. I suppose I have all this equipment around for a reason. I would prefer going the easier route, if anyone has experience to share it would be appreciated. I see no reason that would stop me from building a integral stock based bullpup. Its late and I am still fired up about this so I will make sure I am following the letter of the law before I begin. I wish I had of got the link to the semi auto. 50 Cal that was for sale in Canada. Talk about one scary mean looking piece of beauty. Pleased share your thoughts/ideas! I know I am new here but I have found something I really really enjoy and for me that's q big thing. I will need all the help I can get! If it turns out to be a doable thing I will share the entire project, photos, drawings etc. Legal part aside l will need your ideas and experience to make this happen!

Just so there's no misunderstanding on things- people on the forum will not discuss anything that is "Prohibited" under Canadian law- however flawed people might believe the law to be.

If you would like pointers or ideas for doing as much as possible within the boundaries of the law (such as somehow integrating the stock into the action, therefore having a legal bullpup), great- but no one is going to specifically advise on illegal activities- this ultimately hurts everyone.

Hi Jeff

Sounds like your doing great with that qb78. You may want to whack off an arbitrary 1/8" off the muzzle and then recrown as the qb's (and many others) often have tooling marks just inside the crown.

As for your bullpup issue....well it's a quandry to be sure. But you are correct there are legal bullpup rifles in Canada...lots of them. An obvious example of this for our purposes is the QB57.

The legislation is as always very poorly written but it seems that the focus is -if a stock "that is a self contained mechanical device" can be used to convert a firearm and thereby shorten its overall length ....it is completely prohibited.

So the focus is on stocks and not integrated firearms.

So I would think that if you used something like a QB57 as a reference point and asked very pointed questions of the RCMP you may have an avenue to pursue. Also bear in mind the usual 18" and 26" rules.

Oh and I was blown away when I walked into my local gunshop the other day and saw a Canstar 50 cal BMG sitting on the counter. I thought they were a complete taboo as well.....Cool rifle! Just an FYI for anyone in eastern Ont, Norris's Gun and Tackle is the spot.
    Sean

Norris's, huh? Awesome spot!

I bought my Mathews' Drenaline compound bow and my brother picked up his 300 WSM there. Good people!!

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

Well upon further looking into things and not wanting to upset anybody on the forum I will drop this topic. I am going to pursue this with the rcmp and find out what is the definition of a legal bullpup. I apologize for bringing the subject up not having all the facts. It was not my intention to try and drag anybody into a conversation that involves things that are illegal. On to other things....

If you can get the RCMP to commit to a point of view on this bullpup situation- might as well post it up here and people can use it as a starting point for other potential projects.

Will pursue this until I have an exact definition/conditions favourable or otherwise and I will post the results. Good day to all. Jwff

+ Reply to Thread