ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1750 PCP Target Pistol

I should have posted an update earlier, but work is insanely busy right now and I haven't had too much "me time" lately (I'm only home on weekends... ) , but I did manage to do a couple improvements on the gun.

First thing I did was install a P-rod trigger group that I purchased from Eric which, IMO, should come standard on ALL 22xx/13xx guns right from the factory . What an awesome trigger! . It can be adjusted any way you want - length of 1st stage, length of 2nd stage, trigger pull weight, trigger overtravel, etc... Only modification I had to do was fill the waist of my 22xx hammer with JB Weld. Alternately, you could just purchase the P-rod hammer (no waist) and drop it in, but if you want to save a few bucks and don't mind a little extra work, the JB'd hammer works perfect too. If you decide on the JB route, a tip I found on another forum was once you have the cured JB all nice and smooth, apply a couple coats of Krazy glue/Super glue with a small paintbrush to the area where the sear will ride. This makes a hard, slick finish for the sear ride against...

Second thing I did...or should say, I had done by SeanMP...was to choke and lap my 14" Crosman barrel. I was originally just going to purchase a 10.1" LW barrel from Eric, but Sean was confident that he could make the Crosman barrel perform just as good as the LW for a fraction of the price. Sounded good to me! So I packed up my gun and spent the day at Sean's watching him work his magic.

Barrel was choked .001" (IIRC), then lead-lapped (my job) for what seemed like 500 strokes using a cleaning rod with a lead "plug" on the end that Sean made up. I could try to explain the process, but I know I'll screw it up so here is a link showing how he did an AR2078 barrel. Exact same process was done to my barrel: http://airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=8028

Once everything was done and gun was re-assembled, we took turns shooting some 5 shot groups at 10m using various pellets. Two things quickly became apparent: 1) Sean is a much better shot than I am! , and 2) his choking process works awesome! . I then took the gun home (and as per his instructions) I run a cleaning patch with some bore-brite applied through the barrel a few times once I had roughly 200 shots through it.

Here are the results from his work...circles are dime-sized (first pic is with stock barrel, second one is after choking process):
    m_1750 PCP Target 015.jpg
    m_1750 Groups 003.jpg
    Not sure what the flyer (shot #3, btw) was all about with the H&N Match Pistol, so I took 6 shots on that target and was relieved that the next 3 grouped pretty well!

To quote Phil Robertson (from Duck Dynasty) - I'm "Happy, Happy, Happy"!

Thanks a ton, Sean! You have no idea how much I appreciate your skills and your time on this, Bud!

Cheers,
    Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

That IS an improvement in group size. Grouse, squirrels, and other small game edibles beware!

Can't make out the pellet tin in photo #1. What are they? I can read Field Target, but that's it...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Those pellets are H&N Field Target Trophy (FTT).... the H&N Version of a JSB Exact....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Yep...that'd be them! The "new" barrel seems to really like 'em, so me thinks I'll be grabbing a few more tins to keep on hand!

Grouse, squirrels, and other small game edibles beware!
    Although it is certainly accurate enough for that, I doubt it will ever be used for hunting/pesting. If the urge to do so with a pistol ever hits me (like when I'm in my tree stand during deer season and those friggin' squirrels seem to be everywhere...), I would use my .22 cal MK I HPA instead - same speed, damn near as accurate, but with a heavier pellet = more FPE. When hunting/pesting I would rather go a little overboard with FPE to ensure a clean, humane kill...

Cheers,
    Todd
    Todd

I keep forgetting it's .177. I go on the assumption that because I like .22, everyone else does
    That's what I'd do with it, with a .22 bbl :P

I've hunted with .177 before, and it is an effective game taker- but those tiny pills need precise, on the button, placement. I think well enough of my game to use .22 where-ever I can.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

I go on the assumption that because I like .22, everyone else does
    LOL....I prefer .22 also, Doc!

Normally I don't have much use for .177 (especially when hunting), but ever since I took an interest in FT and PFT, the flatter trajectory of .177 has become more appealing. That, plus the fact that with the pistol tuned to just below 500 FPS in .177, I can get 60 "full power" shots on a single, 2000 psi fill - just enough for a complete PFT match...

That's what I'd do with it, with a .22 bbl
    I've actually been contemplating building another one like this in .22 cal. It would definitely be less cumbersome in the bush compared to the MK I with a 13 ci bottle and remote coil hose attached for sure...

I've hunted with .177 before, and it is an effective game taker- but those tiny pills need precise, on the button, placement. I think well enough of my game to use .22 where-ever I can.
    Couldn't agree more! I can remember as a kid on the farm taking out scores of chipmunks, squirrels, barn swallows, etc with a .177 Crosman 760 Pumpmaster, so I know it can be done, but givin' the choice - I wouldn't go to the drag strip with a Pinto if I had a Hemi 'cuda sittin' in the garage, either!

Cheers,
    Todd
    Todd

+ Reply to Thread