ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: condensation

condensation

Hi I'm new to the world of air guns but have been a target rifle prone shooter for a while. I am considering buying a high end pcp rifle to train with at home. I have a good spot to shoot in the back yard. My question is, are there any problems using a pcp rifle outside, temp drop from room temp to -15c. I've been looking for something like a Fienwerkbau 700 used or new I'd like to be sure it will work outside in winter before I spend the cash. Any thoughts?
    Mike

someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the following in correct.

CO2 is affected by temperature.

HPA is not affected by temperature as the tank is regulated.

The HPA will function just fine in temperatures as cold as you can stand it. It is affected by temperature but the point where it would be an issue is 100 degrees lower than the coldest place on earth.

As far as the 700 is concerned it should be fine. I have had an issue with lubricants at extreme cold temps but that's rare and would only require a pull down and clean. Use a pure synthetic #1 machine oil for cold weather shooting. (synthetic sewing machine oil) (superlube synthetic oil) etc etc

The rifle will be fine going from warm to cold but coming back inside from cold to warm you should put it in one of those vacuum bags you can buy at walmart until it warms up. This has always worked very well and is simple.
    Sean

Thanks, it's good to know that the rifle will work well and not freeze up. Now to find one.
    Mike

That could be another huge issue

I've kept my eye open for years for a nice rig and you never see them listed in Canada. Occasionally one will come up over at TargetTalk that is in Canada and it's literally gone in minutes.

If you find the secret cache...let me know
    Sean

Your only real option for FWB in Canada is to purchase one brand-new, unfortunately.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

+ Reply to Thread