ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Penetration and Expansion Testing

Hybrid View

Here are the recovered pellets from the soap tests above.... These are the only ones that showed any noticeable distortion or expansion.... All the others looked like they could literally be reused....

Top row, left to right:
    JSB Predator Polymag - shed the tip when it expanded
    H&N Crow Magnum - violent expansion
    H&N Baracuda Hunter - violent expansion
    H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme- violent expansion

Bottom row, left to right:
    Crosman Wadcutter - barely shortened, no noticable expansion
    Gamo Match - some shortening and minimal expansion
    RWS Hobby - lightest pellet, highest velocity, significantly shortened and a bit of expansion
    RWS MeisterKugeln - some shortening and minimal expansion
    RWS Super Hollow Point - shed the ring around the head, and the rear portion penetrated deeply

The wadcutters decelerated very rapidly, causing a larger entry wound, but penetration suffered.... good shocking power at close range....

These hollowpiont designs all did their job, and did it well.... The Crosman Premier Hollowpoint and the H&N Hollowpoint (both made of harder materials, with very small cavities) basically didn't expand or show a large entry wound.... ie at this velocity, they weren't working as intended....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

They have no skirt, they are a flat-based bullet design.... It is curious, as they work normally in a LW barrel.... The bolt seal in these guns doesn't leak.... The only other thing that is different is the pressure, which in this gun is 1800 psi and in my Disco is much higher.... hmmmmmmmmmmm.... maybe that is the answer, not enough pressure to overcome the extra drag of the multiple driving bands.... Yeah, thinking on it, that's probably the culprit....

EDIT: Nope, it's not the pressure.... I checked my notes and achieved 75 FPE at 1600 psi while testing the Mr. HollowPoints in my Disco.... Weird !!!

Bob

I purchased from here.... http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca...ear-p-598.html

I purchased the 12-pack of 2 lb. bricks.... It takes two bricks to fill an 8 x 8 x 2 Pyrex dish or a 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan.... You melt it in a double boiler....

This is another source.... http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/ca...showprevnext=1

I don't know if it's "the best", but it can be remelted and repoured whenever you want.... I would imagine those two products are the same....

Bob

+ Reply to Thread