ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Views on Benjamin Legacy upgrade......

Views on Benjamin Legacy upgrade......

After deciding that a rebuild/upgrade was in order on my Benjamin legacy (none PAL) I contacted Eric to find out what was available (thanks for the info Eric).

Two kits are available, Legacy 1000 spring and an NP plunger kit. I understand what the benefits of the spring kit would be, basically increased fps and the advantage of replacing the seals along with a thorough lube, but I haven't been able to find much info on what benefits the plunger kit would give me, the spring is half the cost of the of the plunger.

I'm trying to find out whether the increased cost would warrant the plunger kit install on what is a middle of the line air rifle. The gun is in fairly good cosmetic shape and hasn't been abused, it's mainly used for plinking and taking out the tree rats that frequent my property out here in the country.

If anyone's wondering, I do hold a valid PAL so there would be no legal issues.

Whatever info/views you guys could give me would be really appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I put a nitro piston kit in a Phantom and find it much easier to shoot acuratley. It is a lot smoother.The spring recoil is reduced even though I went from under 500 to over 700 fps.

The gas strut accomplishes two things- reduces some of the forward-directed recoil (i.e. the second piston movement after firing) and eliminates some mechanical noise- i.e. spring 'twang'.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    The gas strut accomplishes two things- reduces some of the forward-directed recoil (i.e. the second piston movement after firing) and eliminates some mechanical noise- i.e. spring 'twang'.
    Any increase in fps?

I did a fair bit of experimenting with gas strut conversions some time ago. My overall opinion is that it is worth the extra cost.

The gas strut itself has more energy than the compressed air volume is capable of generating so you will get every fps that you can possibly get. Expect something around 730fps in a .22.

One of the most noticeable things is the lock (firing cycle) time becomes incredibly quick. So you'll see an overall increase in accuracy just because of this.

As well the gas struts have a substantial increase in rearward recoil. And also an increase in muzzle report.
    Sean

thanks Sean.....appreciate the info...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMP View Post
    I did a fair bit of experimenting with gas strut conversions some time ago. My overall opinion is that it is worth the extra cost.

As well the gas struts have a substantial increase in rearward recoil. And also an increase in muzzle report.
    I did a small amount of experimenting using industrial gas springs. In a Quest 500 I mounted the spring backwards with good results. Anyhow, on another platform - a QB88, I have found that the first shot is fast, and over the next 10-15 shots the muzzle velocity drops about 50 fps. So consider the first shot is 500 fps, the 15th and subsequent shots are 450 +-SD of about 10 fps. Anyone ever observed this "warm-up" behaviour... is is a characteristic of gas rams or just my QB88 ?
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

my izh 60 will wharm up in the 10 15 first shot, but fps change is a 10 to 15 incrase. right around 460 465 fps.

That can occur with any springer- but it is generally a lube burn-off- i.e. essentially dieselling- causing the issue and after a shot or two the flammable residues are eliminated.

That being said, perhaps your industrial strut is just more prone to have a 'warm up' stroke(?)
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

+ Reply to Thread