ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5C Collet Mount for Atlas Lathe Milling Attachment

5C Collet Mount for Atlas Lathe Milling Attachment

This is probably old hat for many of you, but I needed a way to index round parts at 60*, 90*, and 120* for drilling and milling.... I purchased a set of 5C Collets and a pair of holders for them, a Hex and a Square....

The square holder worked fine in the milling vise on my Atlas lathe, but the hex wouldn't quite go deep enough to secure properly.... I measured the difference in width between the square and across the points on the hex, divided by two, and milled a 1/2" wide slot to that depth (0.130") at the appropriate height across my vice....

While I was at it, I milled flats on both sides of the vice and drilled and tapped 10-32 holes so that I could put a stop on either side of the vice.... Now I can use the square or hex mounts with collet in the vice, rotate them to index the part, and the stop will set the holder in the same place each time....

I'm looking forward to trying this arrangement out the next time I make an airgun valve or drill a tube to accept it....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

That looks awesome Bob.

I'm guaranteeing you'll be thrilled with the collet holders. They are such a boon for accuracy and time saving.

You'll have to whip up a collet stop so you can do one setup and whip up a couple valves at a time.
    Sean

I have a stop so that the holder returns to the same horizontal position every time (that aluminum "L" in the bottom pic).... Do you mean something different?.... an internal stop?....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Ya an internal stop.

Basically they are a threaded plug that screws into the ID thread. The plug has a threaded rod in the middle of it that you screw in and out as a depth stop for indexing multiples.

Easy peezy 30 minute add on.
    Sean

+ Reply to Thread