ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion of the "best" airgun available?

Your opinion of the "best" airgun available?

This is not an "advice" question- more of a "survey". What do people feel is the best gun in the market that is available- balancing features, quality, price and ability to modify (i.e. caliber change, add-ons, etc.) and whatever other criteria you want to apply.

I'm sure we could all vote on a few models of high-end gun, and quickly determine there is a $1000.00 AirArms or AirForce product that wins for "best" ignoring such things as price- but I'm more interested in what is more 'middle of the road' to be judged as the "best".

Please include your reasons for your selection. Also, the only caveat is that the gun must also be available currently- not a 'classic' that hasn't been available for 10 years or the like (Next topic might be one of "which is the best airgun ever offered?").

So should we have a $ cap then?

Best under $500

Best under $250

just an idea.

Crosman 2240 best pistol. Probably the most modded gun ever made.

Well, the "best" in my cabinet would be the AT44, but the AR2078 would come second. The 44 takes it because it did and does everything it's supposed to without me having to modify it. The AR2078 comes second because its fit and finish is inferior and it needed significant mods (new seals, polishing, a metal barrel band, and a second grub screw in the breach) to make it a consistent shooter that just about matches the 44 for accuracy. Now if you compare total cash outlay, say $400 for the 44 and $300 for the AR2078 inc tax and parts... there isn't that much difference, and the 44 is definitely looking like 25% more rifle than the AR, and has the 10 shot repeating breach, and a weaver scope rail .... So, IMO the 44 is the best. Now, let me digress. I'm a non-PAL rifle shooter collector so the availability of the 44 in non PAL allowed me into the PCPs at a reasonable price. The other PCPs available to us stock in non-PAL format are the Brococks and the Cometa Lynx. They are way more than the 44.... they are priced like the BT65...quite expensive. IF the Discovery was available in non-PAL, I would be on top of those in an instant, and I expect it would rank as best.
    BTW I have the AR2078 .22, and a QB79 .177, and a QB78D .25 (LW barrel/bolt by rsterne via Frank). They are all tack drivers and very fun to mod and shoot. Now that I have "one of each", I am holding out for a XS60C .22 non-PAL....If I dream it it will happen!
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

Quote Originally Posted by pharoah007 View Post
    So should we have a $ cap then?

Best under $500

Best under $250

just an idea.
    That is an idea- people can follow it if they would like- but I think may $300.00 should be the separating point- i.e. best under- and best over-
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

One of the best airguns for the money I think would be the P17.
    The Diana 24 is also an excellent value for the money.

For me, it's the Discovery, hands down.... It's not too expensive, tons of parts available, and since I'm into modding, it's a great platform to play with.... You can stick a regulated tank on it, change calibers from .177 all the way to 9mm, and push it to over 130 FPE with the proper safety mods....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Best Value? 13-XX all the way. Most affordable way to get into air gunning. If modification is your bent, moderate power, and surprising accuracy are available to you- at a reasonable cash out-lay. Fun pistols, and riflizing isn't that hard, or costly. They work in cold weather too.

Best overall moderate price? QB-78-D. Yeah, they take a bit of tweaking. I think that comes with the 129 dollar territory, though. Intensely moddable platform, with good hpa/pcp power available to those who seek it. Custom market for this platform has a lot to choose from.

Best upper moderate price? AR-2078-A. It'll come in a hair under 300 with shipping and taxes. As mentioned, a low cost usable platform with the 12 gram co-2 cylinders. Also as mentioned, they take a little cleaning up. It depends on what you want. If you want high velocity out of the box, with no work, then the price point changes. You'd probably be looking at at least 460 factoring in taxes and shipping with the AT-44, before your tanks, and pumps and shoe box compressors...
    I'd hesitate to recommend the 2078 to some one who is just beginning- it is a purpose built full size rifle with a bit more heft and weight than one would expect from an air rifle.

I haven't touched on springers- for a good reason. There's six of them sitting here in my closet- and they aren't seeing any use. Just not my cup of tea- a personal foible. I think I've had 5 22-40's pass through my hands for the same reason. They're as modifiable as the 13-xx, if not more so. They just don't motivate me the way the pumpers and 78's do- again a matter of preference...

Come to think of it, there's quite a few bb pistols here that sit and sit- those BB's are a pain in the butt to clean up after a session. A ton of fun though, when I do get around to shooting them...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Hmmm....I've never owned an AT44 (yet) or a Discovery, so I'd say the AR2078 series for me (especially if you're on a tight budget like me). It is the cheapest initial investment of the three, plenty of parts available (thanks to Eric), easily modded, and pretty dang accurate to boot - with a little TLC, of course. I like to tinker/work on all my guns, so any idiosyncracies the AR has doesn't bother me at all. Maybe if I had some experience with the other two my ranking would be different, but really, all three are excellant guns for what you pay for them.

For pistols, it's hard to beat the 22xx/13xx series (depending on whether you are a Co2 or pumper fan) or the P-17. Both are dirt cheap to buy, but I would have to give the edge to the 22xx/13xx simply due to the fact that there is a gazillion parts for them, and can be modded into countless configurations/calibers.

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

For the money well you just simply can't beat the AR2078 and the goodies that come with.

If you have a mind for a bit of budget but serious offhand or 3P target shooting I don't think you could beat this rifle package

Trigger; For absolutely $0 you can tune the stock trigger to break with a pull weight of grams and no perceived travel...safely. You can't beat a rolling block trigger for strength and consistency.
    Stock; Is nicely balanced and a clone of a match target stock, Anschutz 250ish, Aftermarket adjustable butt plates fit with no modifications.
    Rear Sight; Is a perfect match to Feinwerkbau 300 rear aperture. Again simply screw out the simple eye shade and screw any Centra or Gehman aperture your heart desires.
    Front sight. Is an FWB 18mm. Anything fancy that fits the FWB pattern screws in here

At this point your probably saying "Ya great I have to buy everything extra". But when you shell out $3k for the latest match rifle you have to buy everything extra as well.

Also in the package comes a CO2 bulk fill adapter.....that will run you another $60 with any other rifle

The platform will nearly instantly convert to a PCP

Everyone has no doubt seen my threads on what you can attain with an AR barrel. Again free but you need to put in the elbow grease.

And if you are a hunter then Bob has certainly shown how much horsepower you can squeeze out of a QB/AR

My pick of the pricey but not insane would be the Hatsan BT65RB-Wood.
    It's nice to see some thoughtful engineering, beautiful walnut with an affordable price. Once again the trigger, rolling block, impeccable!
    Last edited by SeanMP; Jan 17 2013 at 07:27 PM.
    Sean

+ Reply to Thread