ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your opinion of the "best" airgun available?

Hybrid View

Crosman 2240 best pistol. Probably the most modded gun ever made.

Well, the "best" in my cabinet would be the AT44, but the AR2078 would come second. The 44 takes it because it did and does everything it's supposed to without me having to modify it. The AR2078 comes second because its fit and finish is inferior and it needed significant mods (new seals, polishing, a metal barrel band, and a second grub screw in the breach) to make it a consistent shooter that just about matches the 44 for accuracy. Now if you compare total cash outlay, say $400 for the 44 and $300 for the AR2078 inc tax and parts... there isn't that much difference, and the 44 is definitely looking like 25% more rifle than the AR, and has the 10 shot repeating breach, and a weaver scope rail .... So, IMO the 44 is the best. Now, let me digress. I'm a non-PAL rifle shooter collector so the availability of the 44 in non PAL allowed me into the PCPs at a reasonable price. The other PCPs available to us stock in non-PAL format are the Brococks and the Cometa Lynx. They are way more than the 44.... they are priced like the BT65...quite expensive. IF the Discovery was available in non-PAL, I would be on top of those in an instant, and I expect it would rank as best.
    BTW I have the AR2078 .22, and a QB79 .177, and a QB78D .25 (LW barrel/bolt by rsterne via Frank). They are all tack drivers and very fun to mod and shoot. Now that I have "one of each", I am holding out for a XS60C .22 non-PAL....If I dream it it will happen!
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

+ Reply to Thread