ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2078

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sharptail View Post
    Perhaps the market is narrow- especially with the release of things like the AT-44.
    Possibly, but the AT44's and such are something over $400.00 for the basic rifle now, and if someone hasn't got the required equipment to feed it (hoses, fittings, pump, tank...) the price goes up at least a couple hundred more. Funny enough, the last year seems that PCP has died off, at least for me- the interest from the majority of people just doesn't seem to be there. I don't know if this is as a result of the typical online airgun people (i.e. people on forums) already own one or more, or if the price is just too much of a barrier for people these days (I certainly believe this is the case for people who don't own any airguns- not too many people will spend $600.00 plus on what may very well be an 'experiment' or a "toy" to try out).

Really the QB's and AR's at $125.00 and $210.00, shoot Co2 (i.e. not alot of initial investment" are still the most economical product out there, especially for what one gets.

I do have to say, however, that having observed this for the last 6 years from a sales point-of-view, often products can almost be considered "trendy"- i.e. one month it's QB78's, the next it's AT44's, then the week after 13xx's, then 22xx's, then something else. Gives me an idea for a new topic...
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

I got a bit serious with the 20-78 tonight. Took off the diopter peep and mounted the ever reliable Legend 4-12X. I used the sight rail that was already mounted on the gun.

12 meters with the fore arm rested on a box. 6 jsb Predators. 6X.

That lone shot hole on the target was off-hand at 5 meters, just to make sure the scope was on the paper. Group at upper right was shot with no adjustments on the scope, which came off the 78-D. Good enough. The Predators take a bit of settling into the bore...

That's an H&N Silver Point, 17 gr. which I had ordered from Eric at the same time as the rifle.

The rifle wants to be fussy. I probably have something in my stash that will get along with these.

I actually yanked that one at the right side of the group. I get antsy when I see a tight group forming, and it affects my shooting. It's too bad these are getting hard to come by. The Predators will do just fine though.

The gun is shooting slow. It's more than likely that the valve could stand a bit of a cleaning.

All in all, I'm extremely delighted with this purchase. I couldn't ask more from an out of the box trigger and stock, considering the price. I haven't touched the muzzle crown. By the look of the way the exact heavy performs, I won't have to.

Plan for this gun is a hunter. It will shed some weight with the removal of the globe front sight. Depending on what scope I end up with, the muzzle brake may come off as well. I'll likely end up buying another of these stocks from Eric to put on the 78-D- I like it that much...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Ch ch cha changes:

Borrowed some blingetty off the 78-D. Much improved off the shoulder, with some of the forward weight removed.

Here's a closer look:

That's a Weaver # T.O.-10 rimfire to rimfire adapter rail. It's a bit longer than the sight rail that came with the 2078. It "normalizes" the spacing between the rings with longer scopes...

Man, I can't put this thing down.

Off to shop for a scope in the morning. I'm kinda thinking Banner 6-24X mil-dot. Been a while since I looked at scopes...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Looking good!
    Ain't about the cha-ching, cha-ching
    All about the ba-bling, ba-bling
    Wanna make the 2078 dance
    Forget about the price tag...

Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

I picked up a 6-24X A/O Mil-dot Banner on the weekend.

This is the 2nd 6-24X A/O Mil-dot Banner for me. Q/C seems to be a little off on this one, compared to the first. I had to use a tool to loosen the turret caps to where I could remove them with my fingers. The adjuster knob on the elevation turret was factory installed crooked. Worst of all, this is the first Bushnell I've had to shim for elevation. Both windage and elevation seem to clock normally around the target, and zero returns perfectly at 12 meters.

They say the proof is in the shootin- but I was incredibly wiped tonight from work. I didn't bother setting up a bench rest. Shot this 3 shot group off-hand, with the 14.0 gr Meisters, kneeling at 12 meters and 6X. I just wanted to verify the scope is o.k....

We'll see how this Banner stands up. It looks to be a keeper so far, with the usual clear and bright optics...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; Jan 22 2013 at 04:16 AM.
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Worst of all, this is the first Bushnell I've had to shim for elevation.
    Stop using those Bushnell/Tasco rings. I like Bushnell scopes, but not their rings.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

I should have mentioned:

The rings are a set of Burris all-steel rimfire rings. They came off the 78-D and it's 4-12X Legend- no problems on that scope or rifle.

I looked at a 6-18X 50mm Banner, and passed in favor of the 24-X., even though the price point difference was almost 30 bucks. No mil-dot, and the optics are no where near as nice as the 24X...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Nice grab.

I can not keep either of my cats out of any cardboard box I bring home...they LOVE cardboard ;)

I still can't put this thing down

Trigger has smoothed itself out incredibly, over the last 100 shots or so. Definitely the best factory trigger I've ever come across. It leaves the old 52-C trigger in the dust- and I haven't touched it yet- not even the pull-weight. Gun suffers a bit from wandering zero- there's a bit of movement of the breech/bbl joint that needs my attention....

I can't think of a better purchase that I've made over the last ten years.

The stock is a true position stock- lot's of trickery there for those that are of an off-hand bent. The gun could benefit from a short shanked palm rest, but I don't think I'm into it that much. The short length of pull needs to be addressed as well. I like this outfit so much that I'm going to convert the 78-D to the same stock and trigger...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Gun suffers a bit from wandering zero- there's a bit of movement of the breech/bbl joint that needs my attention....
    Doc Sharptail
    Doc, put a second grub screw in the breach behind the factory one - that will help the bbl stay put. I did it and it helped, then replace the plastic barrel band with a metal one. Eric sells the brass ones... bla-bling! Add it to your stock and trigger order!
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

+ Reply to Thread