ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2078

It's here.

Dunno who's more excited- me, or CAT E. We're both in a hurry to get into this thing...

Notch rear sight...

And there's the diopter peep.

I really like the stock on this a lot. Haven't done a thing with it yet. Based on previous experience, there's probably a bit of preservative gloop that's gonna hafta come outta the bore before I can shoot it. Haven't been this tickled since the 78-D got here. More to follow...

Thanks to Eric at scopesandammo.com for exceptional service again!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Congrats on your new shooter, Doc!

I absolutely love mine. Stock is way more comfortable than I thought it would be, although I had to extend the LOP for my ape-arms! I went with .177 instead of .22 for FT and target comps. Ater a bit of cleaning/polishing, it's VERY accurate with H&H Finale Match or JSB Heavies....

Look forward to seeing your results/progress report!

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

Congratulations Doc!

In my opinion that's the nicest of all the affordable guns. You can do so much with that rifle it's not funny.

Remember that it is an exact clone of an olympic match gun in the late 70's 80's era so all the fancy aftermarket parts fit. Like eye correcting diopters, adjustable irises, adjustable butt pads etc etc

Have fun with it
    Sean

Thanks for the positive commentary, guys. I went over the gun a bit last night. There are some differences in the trigger, and it's pull-weight adjustment over the 78-D. By the feel of the trigger straight out of the box, I won't have to do much. I'm not sure about the sights- can't find any fault with them except my eyes. We'll see.

The stock strikes me as function primarily over form. There is a bit of a reinforcing screw that goes down into the pistol grip. I'd peg this stock somewhere between the old Winchester "D" prone stock, and the old "C" International. For those that aren't familiar with the 52 series, it's just an old, long out of production "crowning achievment" oval "W"... The adjustable butt-plate is a good idea. I'll have to see how well the rifle sits scoperized- and it will eventually end up with optics.

Kind of whacked with the flu right now. I'm hoping to get a few "break-in" shots out of it tonight, and a few more photos...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

As far as the stock goes I had the adjustable butt plate from an Anschutz 250 match right up. turret slide right in the hole and screws lined up
    Sean

Another nice 2078! Congrats.
    What is it with cats and guns, eh?
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

You guy's and your pussies...

But seriously, I was talking with one of the former distributors of the QB's and AR's from a few years back- and I was whining about the lack of real sales on the QB's- for absolutely no good reason- they are as solid a gun as any at double the price. So I've been thinking about "why" this is. Sure, alot of guys that were "into" airguns 10 years ago may still have one they bought then in their rack/cabinet- but few of the new airgun buyers seem to look at it (unless they go out on the internet prior to purchasing).

So- and maybe people here have some ideas- I was thinking maybe a synthetic black stock, i.e. a more 'sniper' type look might bring alot more people to it - ?

Of course I have to ask this 12 hours before I have a meeting with a couple of people from Shanghai Airgun- but nonetheless...
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    You guy's and your pussies...

But seriously, I was talking with one of the former distributors of the QB's and AR's from a few years back- and I was whining about the lack of real sales on the QB's- for absolutely no good reason- they are as solid a gun as any at double the price. So I've been thinking about "why" this is. Sure, alot of guys that were "into" airguns 10 years ago may still have one they bought then in their rack/cabinet- but few of the new airgun buyers seem to look at it (unless they go out on the internet prior to purchasing).

So- and maybe people here have some ideas- I was thinking maybe a synthetic black stock, i.e. a more 'sniper' type look might bring alot more people to it - ?

Of course I have to ask this 12 hours before I have a meeting with a couple of people from Shanghai Airgun- but nonetheless...
    Not an easy question to answer. Perhaps the market is narrow- especially with the release of things like the AT-44.

There is a vendor that hits gun shows around here with chinese hpa/pcp's. I'm pretty sure the maker is Bam. Price point is a bit steeper than a "kitted-out" QB.

Personally, I like the 78 series- 2 within the last 12 months says something. I'm not sure what the marketing answers are... let us know if anything comes out of this meet...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

I shot it tonight

There's the diopter peep aboard.

First 5 shots at 12 meters. Off-hand, kneeling. Rear diopter peep with the square post insert in the front globe. Daisy 14.3 gr hollow point. Not bad at all. This gun deserves a scope. Group haired just under 3/4"on centers.

Same old, same old. Went through this bbl shank o-ring bit with the the 78-D, so no big surprise there. Likewise the o-ring around the tube cap- not ripped up, just dried out. Seal kits are a good idea. The breech seal was the driest of the lot. I didn't really want to get into that. A couple of drops of air-tool oil on the o-ring, and the velocity perked up to level. I'll have to look to see if it's included in the seal kits. I think whatever it is that is being used as rust prevention/metal preservative dries up the seals...

That's the screw for pull weight. It's at the rear of the trigger guard. Looks like more of a retainer screw than an adjustment screw.

There's the same screw, looking from the rear of the trigger box. This requires a bit more investigation...

There's the de-gassing key, in it's hole in the gas tube. It appears to push and lock the hammer forward against the valve stem... It'll come in handy for dumping the gas for those last 6 or 7 shots that are too low p.o.i. to be of any use...

I am much impressed with this gun- especially the trigger. Trigger "blade" is 2 sections- with the lower section spring loaded to simulate 2 stage pull. The sear engagement came from the factory set just right. There's a slight grit at the final take-up - nothing a little polishing won't take care of. I'm much happy with this rifle!

Now, it needs a case, scope, and rings...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; Jan 16 2013 at 04:01 AM.
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Excellent Doc

That odd trigger adjustment is just two bevels at 90deg. Working like a set of wedges.
    Sean

+ Reply to Thread