ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the heck is Canadian Tire doing now?

What the heck is Canadian Tire doing now?

Went in to the local Canadian Tire store this evening and passed through the "hunting" aisle and see two display cabinets full of actual firearms ("firearms" haven't been sold in this store for at least 10 years now). Nothing special, a couple Remington's, a Savage .22 and a couple Mossbergs (all hugely over-priced of course). This store had sold some ammunition in the past (not a very good selection, and it isn't any better now, despite actual "guns" on the shelf).

Now that they've pretty much destroyed their auto parts business and went on to sell household electronics, food, belts and other such random junk- seems they've decided to flog even more random -stuff- to try and keep the corporate growth curve moving along. Doesn't bother me so much as they can't compete on price, service or knowledge (and have lost most of the 'home improvement' business as a result)- but at what point do they stop, back up, and say "maybe we should actually know something about what we sell?" And, when does it cave in on them I wonder?
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

AND, not all CTC's will have firearms. It is up to the owner. You are right though, overpriced and not knowledgeable on guns. They sure have changed their image since I was younger. Couldn't wait to get the flyer on Friday and it was like a 'guys' club Saturday in the parking lot just before the store opened. Now, I don't care. My local stores are not carrying the firearms but we have good, reputable firearms dealers around. Before this decision, only 5 CTC's in Canada carried firearms and had staff that knew what everything was about. A member on this forum works at one out west that has carried on the firearms from before. Anyways, it will be interesting, to say the least, what they will be handling 10 years from now.

bartman

We have 2 Canadian Tire stores here and one carries a lot of firearms. Both stores are going away from the auto parts and hardware that they used to have and it won't be long before I am gone from their stores too.

To me it's still the best store around (we don't have Princess Auto or TSC here). Sure there's girly stuff too but what other walk-in store sells airguns? My local CT doesn't sell firearms at all but the tools on sale can be a good deal! I bought my patio set there in the spring and no one asked to see my ID or PAL LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    ...but at what point do they stop, back up, and say "maybe we should actually know something about what we sell?"
    I was in CT yesterday (Perth) looking over their selecion of guns/ammo, when my cousin (who is the manager of the sporting goods section) sees me oogling them. We start chatting and he proceeds to tell me that a few nights before when they were stocking the shelves, he cocked a break-barrel (1000 fps model) and dry-fired it just to see how loud/powerful it was...

I must have had a "WTF" look on my face 'cause his expression changed and he immediately asked, "Will that hurt it"? followed by, "Well, I only did it once"!... I proceeded to explain why what he had done was a bad, bad thing, and he assured me he would remove the gun from the shelf later. Whatever.... I'd be willing to bet it is still on the shelf today. I never did find out which gun it was as he was called away before I could ask...

I was quite shocked that he dry-fired a gun, as he is an avid hunter/fisherman/outdoorsman and should have known better, but is obviously clueless when it comes to airguns. All the more reason to avoid big box stores and support our online vendors instead!

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

One dry-fire of a springer probably won't hurt it- but if one guy's done it to the rifle, you can bet 5 other guys have as well- and that's when the problems may start...

I got a good deal on a demo 2289 from Canadian Tire when they still carried it, I paid 28$ for it if I remember right, it was missing the front sights and pistol grips. Works perfectly good has held air for months. I also got a demo 760 for 20$ because it was missing the mags. I would NEVER buy an open boxed springer from them (or any other store).

Quote Originally Posted by DocGadget View Post
    I would NEVER buy an open boxed springer from them (or any other store).
    If the price is right I'd snap up an off the shelf (or used) springer no hesitation. A new spring and piston seal runs around $30-40 and many, if not most, have trashed factory piston seals anyhow.
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

Speaking of the firearms display in Perth

Does anyone know what a "Retay" is. Apparently made in Turkey.

I noticed this absolute monstrosity of a springer sitting in the cabinet and had to ask
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMP View Post
    Does anyone know what a "Retay" is. Apparently made in Turkey.

I noticed this absolute monstrosity of a springer sitting in the cabinet and had to ask
    Here are the specs:http://www.retaygun.com/UDetay.aspx?ID=169

I noticed that one, too. It is rather large, isn't it?

I wonder if that's the one that was dry-fired, as I think it's the only one rated at 1000 fps at CT?

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

+ Reply to Thread