ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finally Finished

Finally Finished

My Christmas present from my darling wife was a second Hawke 3-12 x 44 Varmint SF scope with mounts and sunshade.... I was so impressed with the first one, I dropped a big hint, and as usual she came through for me.... She's the BEST !!....This allowed me to set up both my 2260 and 2560 HPA rifles in an identical manner....

They started out life as a pair of 2260s, and I made custom reversed tank blocks to mount the 3000 psi regulated tanks under the main tube to act as the forestock.... The tank block has an integral 3-slot Picatinny rail (for a BiPod or other accessories) and barrel band fitted with an O-ring so the barrel is "semi-floated".... The breeches are prototypes to use MRod magazines on a 22XX/Disco tube which so far have never reached production.... They mount very rigidly with a forward band around the tube.... The valves are highly modified Disco valves with extended front ends (to cover the roll stamp), and the guns have custom hammers and RVAs.... The DAQ black walnut stocks were intended for a QB, and I modified them to fit the Disco trigger group, shortened them, and finished them with 7 coats of handrubbed Watco Danish Oil.... As equipped, the .22 cal weighs 7 lbs. 6 oz., and the .25 cal, which has a larger tank (17 CI instead of 13 CI) weighs 7 lbs. 9 oz.... They will both shoot over four full clips on a tank within a 1% ES.... The regulator setpoint is 1600 psi on the .22 cal, and 1800 on the .25 cal....

As you can see, the guns are set up for virtually the same velocity (950 fps) with the appropriate JSB Exact Pellet.... The .22 shoots at 37 FPE and the .25 at 51 FPE.... but that will be fine tuned so that the trajectories are as identical as possible.... They should already be close, as the pellets have very similar Ballistics Coefficients.... The intention is to be able to switch back and forth between the two rifles transparently, depending on the size of the target.... I figure the ground squirrels and marmots are in for a surprise next June.... The scopes have enough MilDots to cover out past 100 yards at 12X (why I chose the 3-12).... and at that range the guns still have over half their energy remaining.... 19 FPE for the .22 cal and 26 FPE for the .25 cal....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Beautiful concept Bob. I really like the luster you've pulled up on those walnut stocks.

I'm getting the feeling there is going to be a matching set of sandbag rests installed on the Rhino? You and Dianne out there laying down a torrent of lead on those ground squirrels
    Sean

Naw, she's not one to ever pull a trigger.... Fortunately she's not anti-hunting and enjoys (eating) the Grouse.... Varmint hunting she begrudgingly accepts as necessary....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Check the gas bottle at the front.... i like the design!

Great pic, Rsterne. Beautiful rifles. And with a wifey like yours, you're a lucky man.

Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    My Christmas present from my darling wife was a second Hawke 3-12 x 44 Varmint SF scope with mounts and sunshade.... I was so impressed with the first one, I dropped a big hint, and as usual she came through for me.... She's the BEST !!....This allowed me to set up both my 2260 and 2560 HPA rifles in an identical manner....

They started out life as a pair of 2260s, and I made custom reversed tank blocks to mount the 3000 psi regulated tanks under the main tube to act as the forestock.... The tank block has an integral 3-slot Picatinny rail (for a BiPod or other accessories) and barrel band fitted with an O-ring so the barrel is "semi-floated".... The breeches are prototypes to use MRod magazines on a 22XX/Disco tube which so far have never reached production.... They mount very rigidly with a forward band around the tube.... The valves are highly modified Disco valves with extended front ends (to cover the roll stamp), and the guns have custom hammers and RVAs.... The DAQ black walnut stocks were intended for a QB, and I modified them to fit the Disco trigger group, shortened them, and finished them with 7 coats of handrubbed Watco Danish Oil.... As equipped, the .22 cal weighs 7 lbs. 6 oz., and the .25 cal, which has a larger tank (17 CI instead of 13 CI) weighs 7 lbs. 9 oz.... They will both shoot over four full clips on a tank within a 1% ES.... The regulator setpoint is 1600 psi on the .22 cal, and 1800 on the .25 cal....

As you can see, the guns are set up for virtually the same velocity (950 fps) with the appropriate JSB Exact Pellet.... The .22 shoots at 37 FPE and the .25 at 51 FPE.... but that will be fine tuned so that the trajectories are as identical as possible.... They should already be close, as the pellets have very similar Ballistics Coefficients.... The intention is to be able to switch back and forth between the two rifles transparently, depending on the size of the target.... I figure the ground squirrels and marmots are in for a surprise next June.... The scopes have enough MilDots to cover out past 100 yards at 12X (why I chose the 3-12).... and at that range the guns still have over half their energy remaining.... 19 FPE for the .22 cal and 26 FPE for the .25 cal....

Bob
    Bob - those are amazingly even results - WOW - You're the builder supremo!~

+ Reply to Thread