ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

Thread: Qb 78-d

Threaded View

Qb 78-d

My newest to me air rifle, bought new from scopes and ammo:

There's a lot more detailed "figure" to that stock, than what the photo shows. My camera's getting funky with a close to full s/d card :P

It didn't group like that out of the box- the burrs around the transfer port hole inside the bbl had to be cleaned up first. I also had a bit of trouble getting the tube cap to seat properly- the inside of the tube was pretty wrinkled. A bit of work with some 600 and 1000 weight wet/dry paper got it to where it will seat the o-ring seal properly.

This is how the brass trigger is done on the "D". It's dove-tailed on to a standard trigger. It is retained by a set screw through the back of the trigger.

I'm pretty pleased with this rifle. I haven't chronied it yet. For a .22 air rifle, it's the loudest in my collection. I really like the dimensioning of the stock. It fits me well, and the soft rubber butt pad is a true non-slip.

I removed the sights and mounted a Bushnell Banner 3.5-10X .17 Varminter. Point of balance is about the mid point of the wrist. As it's set up now, it's balanced well for off hand shooting.

There's major plans afoot for this rifle- each bit as I can afford it. First up will be a HPA tube for it, and then a hand pump of some sort. I'll even have a spare valve to play around with...

For anyone considering the "D", I say go for it- If you are prepared to do a bit of work de-burring the metal parts. For sure, the barrel and bore will have to be cleaned of all that brown cosmoline. The bbl shank and inside of the breech will need the burrs removed as well. Cheap insurance is ordering a seal set with the gun- the bbl o-rings come pre-shredded from the factory. These points are in no way a detraction from the gun- considering the price, it is still a bargain. Doing a little clean up work seems to be the norm for the QB series, from what I've read. I like this gun a lot....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; Jan 06 2012 at 03:04 AM.