ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hawke Varmint SF Review

Hawke Varmint SF Review

I just purchased a Hawke Varmint Side Focus scope in 3-12 x 44 for my 2560 PCP.... It has a 1/2 MilDot reticle set for 10X, with 4 dots in each direction and the post being where dot 5 would be.... The crosshairs, dots, and hash marks for the half dots are very fine.... The side focus works very smoothly, and it focuses down to about 7 yards even at 12 power.... It is one of the lightest SF scopes I have found, at less than 18 oz.... Hawke make the same scope in 2.5-10, 4-16, and a slightly larger 6-24 that is less than an ounce heavier.... The adjustment turrets are under covers, and have a resettable feature for the scale once you are sighted in.... Preliminary trials indicate that the turrets seem to return to zero better than cheaper scopes I have tried.... A sunshade is available, and I got one of those as well....

I was very impressed with the build quality and finish.... The power ring is a bit stiff, but will probably loosen a bit with use.... The eyepiece is easily focused with many turns of travel enabling a fine adjustment to suit your eye.... The optics are clear and bright, and when tested against scopes I know work well in dim light it was at least as good on 3X, and brighter when compared power for power at higher magnifications.... There wasn't any dimming of the image under extremely poor light until you used over 6X, which is where the exit pupil reaches about 7mm.... Above that, you would expect a slight loss of brightness and contrast as the exit pupil becomes smalller than the pupil of your eye in dim light, but in fact it was pretty minimal, and I could still see quite well a half hour after sunset at 12X....

I was so impressed with this scope I have asked my wife for a second one for Christmas to mount on my matching 2260 PCP.... This may become my new "go to" scope....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

If I might be so bold as to ask, where did you procure it and how pricey was it?

I bought it (online) from SSSO in Vernon, BC, it was $179 plus $18 for the sunshade, plus postage....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen their site before, some nice stuff there.

+ Reply to Thread