ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

Thread: Best value for non-pal PCP

Threaded View

Best value for non-pal PCP

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get into some target shooting and general plinking action with a PCP. I'm not looking to spend too much money and it seems as though our non-PAL low budget options are pretty limited in Canada. I already have an old breakbarrel .177 and a multipump BB gun but they are just not very accurate and I didn't think it would be worth spending much on trying to bring them up to par. I'm thinking it might be best if I just skip the whole CO2 thing and go right to PCP so I don't end up with a closet full of airguns I never use.

I will probably spend the $700-1000 on a nice retail PCP rifle eventually but to get started I'll be doing this with my kids so I'm thinking something a little smaller might be a better way for us to get started.

The Crosman 1701 with a longer barrel and the custom shoulder stock would be about nice fit... I also saw the Crosman 2250 custom carbine which I thought was beautiful but it doesn't seems we can get these nice airguns in Canada.

I've been search around the net for weeks and finally ended up on this forum after reading about several that have modified their CO2 guns to run under HPA. That got me to thinking, and some confusion, that it might be a good plan to start with these stock components:
    - Crosman 2240 ($90)
    - Crosman 18" barrel ($25)
    - Crosman 2" muzzle break with sight pin ($25)
    - Crosman Custom Shoulder Stock ($14)

Then I could add
    - hipac C2240bfa (~$60)
    - ONE 4" extender. (~$10)
    - a few other misc adapters etc

Grand Total: well under $300. Of course I would still need a hand pump and some pellets.

I hope someone could help me with this project/idea in general, perhaps offer some good ideas or even tell me if there is perhaps a better direction and point me in the appropriate resources if this already been discussed somewhere else (I hope I'm wasting peoples time with all these silly questions). Alternatively, I'm sure some of you here have been through this before and I hope you might help me understand how I might get a nice small PCP carbine without breaking the 500fps limit or the bank.

Eventually I'll get myself a CZ200T or even the HW-100T but that is quite a bit of money to get started and I believe those rifles just wouldn't be the best fit the kids or my wallet at this stage.

Kind regards,
    Josh
    Last edited by justacanuck; Oct 26 2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added clarity