ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HB22 Bolt Question

HB22 Bolt Question

I just bought an HB22 Benjamin .22 calibre air pistol. When I fire the pistol, the bolt blows open. I pump up the pistol, three to eight times, open the breech, put in a pellet, close the breech, turn the breech bolt clockwise to lock the breech. Then I fire the pistol and the pellet goes out to the target, but the bolt blows back open. I can feel air coming back from the breech. I tested the velocity of the pellets with my Chrony and with eight pumps, a 14 grain pellet goes 450fps. Is this blowing open a normal part of the HB22 operation?

I don't think the issue is supposed to be "normal"- but it does seem to occur on most HB22's. The velocity sounds about right, so it's not apparently leaking in any significant manner.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    I don't think the issue is supposed to be "normal"- but it does seem to occur on most HB22's. The velocity sounds about right, so it's not apparently leaking in any significant manner.
    Thanks for this information. I have contacted Gravel Agency and they say that this is not normal and they will replace the pistol when the get fresh stock. Since that will be a pain and right in the middle of the season I bought the pistol for (a grouse pistol while hunting deer) knowing for sure that a replacement would work properly and not do the same thing would certainly be nice.
    It seems that whatever I purchase these days, not just hunting stuff, does not work properly right away. Why is that? The HB22 is not an expensive piece, but it is not cheap either. Expecting it to work right away is not really too much to ask.

The HB22 has an old design bolt system- the only thing retaining it is the pressure on the bolt o-ring- so if the o-ring has shrunk or it is oiled too well- it allows movement and the bolt moves, door kicks back. I assume it has not been updated in order to have it appear slightly different that the other Crosman pistols that have bolts with a side handle.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    The HB22 has an old design bolt system- the only thing retaining it is the pressure on the bolt o-ring- so if the o-ring has shrunk or it is oiled too well- it allows movement and the bolt moves, door kicks back. I assume it has not been updated in order to have it appear slightly different that the other Crosman pistols that have bolts with a side handle.
    I wish. The less expensive Crosman 1322 has an actual bolt action, a lever slides back and forth and locks down in place when in the firing position. The HB22 has a circular bolt that pulls back, load, push forward and turn. Nothing locks the bolt once it is turned. The pistol has not been oiled or anything since it was just purchased. Out of the box, the bolt blew back open.
    It is a nice pistol. It handles well and hits the target I aim at each time. I am simply looking for reassurance that it is functioning properly while it is still under warranty. The CO2 pistol in the same series looks nice too, but my experience with CO2 pistols tells me that at the indoor range, it shoots well, but when you get out in the cold, the velocity drops and that affects the aim point. I like eating grouse, not scaring them away...

I eventually ended up sending it once the grouse season was over. Very quickly, a new pistol was returned and it the breech bolt does not open up when I fire it. So it appears that this issue has been fixed.

+ Reply to Thread