ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crosman CO2 bolts and barrels

Crosman CO2 bolts and barrels

Here is a Q & A I found on another forum...
    Q> My question is: do I need to change the breech to change caliber, or just the barrel and bolt?
    A> Just the barrel- the stock Crosman bolts are the same size (.177 vs. .22).
    Q> .... but although the bolts are the same size body, aren't they different at the front end...., they have a different taper on the front and a different O-ring to seal against the end of the barrel
    A> I have yet to hear anyone who has noticed from a performance perspective. Don't get me wrong- perhaps when using the "correct" .22 bolt in a .177 barrel it will be a bit tighter pushing in, and likewise the .177 bolt may be a bit more loose, but it seems the difference has never been enough for anyone to notice without breaking out their calipers.

This just doesn't seem well founded to me... And, I do not have time, before leaving, to do all the bolt and barrel switching and am not even sure how I would measure the difference in performace. Use a pressure guage? A temp guage? A temp of the pressure guage? ha ha ha. (Just kidding of course.) Certainly a CO2240 is not adequate to measure the differences. I think it would take HPA or PCP setup to be able to "clock" the results on a chrony.

IMO, the A guy is way off and I can hear a 177 bolt rattle, metal against metal, in the 22 chamber/breech/loading port, whatever you want to call it. I can also see the difference between .1905 inches and .240 inches when held next to each other. Or, possibly, this is another situation where my parts are not the same as everyone elses?????

Anybody got the right gear, or, inclination to do a myth-buster on this one? I would be happy to use my extra 177 bolts in the 22 Bbls. But, will I be suffering performances losses?

Just pulled a factory .22 bolt from the parts bin and checked it in a .177 barrel...the o-ring doesn't seat, and the probe will only push the pellet in enough to block off the transfer port.

The portion of the bolt which is supposed to go into the chamber, measures .196" on this bolt...no surprise that it won't go into the chamber which measures .184"

Might be able to modify the bolt a little and actually get it to go (ie. force it) into battery. Not sure how well that would work...feel free to try though. :)

Al

Thanks Al, So with the the 177 rattling in the 22 and the 22 not fitting into the 177 we could probably say the expert answer man had not used an adequate testing format before making such a speculation. I am not the Q or the A guy... was just wondering how something that seems so obviously incorrect to a newbie, like me, could could be stated so factually by a long time ag guy. And, none of the moderators on the forum corrected this conjecture. I was sure that I was missing something????

Sure does seem a pity that this "pro" is sending people out to buy 177 bolts to use in their 22 and 22 bolts for their 177????? I guess everyone can make a little error once in a while and not use adequate research to support speculation they give to forum members. I am becoming more and more aaahhh...suspicous (?) of the advice of some particular experts. Anybody else have other thoughts on this mix and match theory?

Regadless of the thoughts of the Answer man, I will use 177 bolts in the 177 Bbl and 22 bolts in the 22 Bbls. I know a fart when I smell one. he he he.

You are throwing out statements about "pros" and "experts" with no information on this. Where are these posts, when were they made, and who are the "pros".

You are not just asking a question, but throwing in all sort of sideways insults- don't do this unless you are going to post the exact source of this.

Maybe someone made a mis-post 10 years ago, maybe some "Moderators" (who, by the way are on forums to Moderate, not confirm accuracy of content- i.e. they are people handlers, not technical experts necessarily) missed it- but without the exact source of this being posted, this information is extraneous and irrelevant.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Since you asked for the exact source: ("don't do this unless you are going to post the exact source of this.") it is airgunhomeforum.com; Sepetmber 19, 2009; thread title -.22 to .177 swap; started by Zazu45; the A in the thread came from airguneric.

+ Reply to Thread