ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2289 (kinda) Returning in October?

2289 (kinda) Returning in October?

I don't know if this will be a Pyramyd only deal or not.... No sign of it on the Crosman website yet....

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosma..._Kit_2289/2913

Looks to be a shorter barrel than the 2289, maybe 11.5-12".... it appears to be longer than the 10" on the 1322, but shorter than the 2289, and it's listed at 480 fps.... Model number may be a 2913?....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

I find it a bit hard to swallow that they discontinue the model at the start of 2011 and then "bring it back" less than 2 years later. This is a troubling sign to me as to what the actual "plan" at Crosman is these days- they are acting like a corporate toilet seat it seems. "Do it, don't do it, do it, don't do it, do it..."

That being said, this may not be anything- Crosman has for the last couple of years "introduced" new products and then does not deliver on them, or only in a "limited edition" fashion of a few hundred units so they don't look like they were completely full of it when they "introduced" the product. There are still products "introduced" this January that have never become available (forgot the year before that entirely).

This is not intended to be a bad-mouth to Crosman, but when any business acts in an inconsistent manner and seems to fly all over the map with things, they start to look confused/unfocused. For anyone who gives it some thought- this is exactly why the large North American auto manufacturers started eliminating "brands" a few years back- to reduce customer confusion, model overlaps and generally far too obtuse a marketing program- i.e. Oldsmobile, Mercury, Pontiac, Plymouth, and so on. Notice the "fun packs" Crosman put up a couple months ago- don't think they have ever shipped either- so what is it they are actually going to ship at some point, and will they just be copies of each other?
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

I made a similar post on the "other" forum. I think it will be a short time, PA only deal. I don't Crosman has enough backpack and first aid kit to ship to everyone.
    The spec page says 12 inch barrel.

It does piss a lot of people off having Crosman announcing stuff and never coming out with it.
    Things that were announced at the shot show in January
    The Crosman "C-TT" which was supposed to be a Tokarev TT-33 replica... gone from the Crosman website, never heard about it again
    The Benjamin Nitro Piston pistol... the released date is now FEBRUARY!!!
    The Benjamin MAV-77 underlever rifle... still not out, still no release date.

I think it's a shame that a company is announcing stuff they can't sell. If they said "here, we have this prototype" no it's always "we have this great new stuff coming out" but can't deliver. I may be weird but I wouldn't announce something I didn't have ready to deliver. What are they going to announced at the shot show this year? They can't announce the exact same stuff as it will all be old news but they can't really bring new stuff out since they haven't started delivering the old stuff out?

Don't know what their "deal" is or isn't these days, but it seems obvious that instead of spending money on 'focus groups' or the like, they are trying to use the existing sales and advertising channels they have to "experiment" with things. PyramydAir was also the first to list these "Summer Fun Packs" and what-not that never appeared- and they are (were?) on the Crosman website. I recall the Discovery was a bit of a fiasco when it was "announced" vs. when it started shipping- and they managed to get away with that unscathed. I am thinking this is both an experiment in marketing and trying to build-up demand for products that don't exist yet, or maybe ever if they don't get the idea that there is alot of demand. Of course, what they seem to be missing is that everything has a "window"- i.e. if a product is announced and it doesn't deliver on any sort of reasonable schedule, people give up and go purchase something somewhere else- this type of "introduction" before delivery can only go on so long before no one gives a damn- consumers or dealers.

When Crosman announced their new "bullets" in January, I was all on the bandwagon to purchase them- when they hadn't started shipping by August, my interest evaporated- and unless a number of customers really want them, I won't put them on the shelf when they do start shipping. Who's losing here? Everyone.

All I can suggest in respect to this is that customers will start to look at other products, and the first company that starts producing and shipping accessory and upgrade parts- as Crosman had done in the past, will likely be promoted by every small dealer out there and Crosman may get relegated to being a big-box only product- much like Daisy has become. Kinda sad really, Crosman had a run of a couple years of what I would term "innovation"- i.e. PCP products, more accessory items being developed, and is now seeming to be closing up on this mindset- relegating it to "ideas" and "introductions" of products that don't see the light of day- almost all within the last year...

Yet they keep hiring "Pro-Staff" people, they keep on pushing hunting and doing "new" stuff with old products and doing "packages" adding a camo stock to an already existing product.
    What happened to the challenger? Why don't we hear about it? Why not work on things we actually want instead of people we don't care about.
    I don't care about these people: http://www.crosman.com/hunting/pro-staff/

I am beginning to question alot of what goes on in some places and WTF people are thinking.

I can't believe no one has commented on this

Doomsday Bug Out Air Rifle Kit

Seriously....."grab your pellet gun Harry, the end of the world is here"

Oh there's definitely some new marketing going on here. Tasteless capitalizing on redneck hysteria. I would think it wouldn't matter if they produced it or not. Every Doomsday prepper idiot is now running around assembling this "kit" on their own.

Apparently they have given up on the idea of producing heirloom airguns that serious shooters passed on to their grandchildren.
    Sean

Don't suppose Crosman's "all-over-the-place" attitude as of late has anything to do with their new President they hired earlier this year, do you? Seems like ever since he (Phil Dolci) took over, things have gotten, shall we say, a bit scrambled? Restructuring (right or wrong) more to his liking/thought process, perhaps?

Not sure if this is the case or not, just my conspiracy theory is all...

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

It has seemingly gotten more pronounced since the new president was put in place- but it could also have been the culmination of efforts prior to him coming along.

As per most mid-size and larger corporations these days, a "plan" is something that lasts maybe a year, so if they can drive up the numbers for a year, everyone gets their bonus cheque. The easiest way to do this of course is to get a couple very large customers who will buy craploads of low-priced/cheap to produce product- i.e. a big box. Problem is, this tends to reverse itself after awhile and a manufacturer can become a slave to the one or two customers business' while all the smaller customers move to another manufacturer- i.e. the one who fills the void that was created.

It might be plausible that perhaps a great deal of Cosman's success the last 5-10 years has been a result of the failure of Daisy to do things beyond big-box sales(?).

+ Reply to Thread