ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I Need to Start Carrying a Camera

I Need to Start Carrying a Camera

Over the past few Grouse hunts my wife and I have seen the following:

Yearling black bear (150 lbs?), solo....
    Mule deer doe with two antlerless yearlings....
    Mama black bear (200 lbs?) with 2 cubs (all jet black)....
    Bobcat....
    Huge Mama black bear (300 lbs?) with 2 cubs (all were dark brown)....
    Several Snowshoe Hares (in season, but ran like scared rabbits)....
    Pair of Mule deer, one was a spike Buck in velvet....
    About a dozen Red-Tailed Hawks....
    and today.... at over 5000' altitude and over the crest of a rugged ATV-only trail.... a beautiful one room Log Cabin about 10'x20' on stilts, about 2-4 feet off the ground, and totally invisible from any roads.... It's about 95% finished, and I'm guessing it's being built by a squatter on Crown land....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

If you're seeing this all while shooting, perhaps one of those new Crosman weaver-mount video camera's would be useful (I'm not much of a picture taker myself).

As for the squatter cabin- how do these guys take to people stumbling upon them? That sort of thing might make me a bit nervous...
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

We"ve started using GoPro cameras at work. Very cool and they work very slick.

And they are Sean proof...which says something
    Sean

Fortunately, there was nobody there.... Honestly, you wouldn't believe the goat track to get to that Cabin.... Fair amount of milled lumber, too, it must have taken a lot of trips, unless the guy hired a Helicopter.... That's not unheard of in this area, one of our customers who has a Placer Claim on upper Granite Creek (basically inaccessable) is talking about flying in his equipment and just leaving it at the claim under a tarp all year.... Speaking of Gold Claims, our friend who has the Roany Creek Placer Mine stopped by yesterday with the results of "an hour of running the wash plant".... It won't pay for all the work that has gone into the place over the past couple of years (let alone the preliminary stuff).... but a tablespoon of gold flakes and a teaspoon of platimum sure looks purty....

GoPro?.... I've seen the ads on TV, I'll have to check it out.... Maybe get a QD mount for the Rhino?....

Bob

Yup they have QD mounts for the rhino and everything else you can imagine. And at $129 it's really not that spendy as cameras go

I would love to see a teaspoon of platinum. I wonder how the separate the gold from the platinum at the wash plant
    Sean

According to the guy who runs the mine, he uses "high frequency magnetism" to separate the platinum from the gold.... All I can say is, it works....

Bob

WTF is "high frequency magnetism"?

If the guy is carrying it around in tablespoons and teaspoons- he might very well be picking it out by hand and just pretending to be all "high tech"!
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

The gold and platinum were in glass vials, I used those measurements to convey the quantity in my post.... I've seen the equipment, and the pit, and I can assure you this is no small operation.... They have removed the overburden in an area 300' x 800' x 80' deep to get down to the pay gravel.... They have only just started running paydirt, and are still 16' from bedrock in the closest spot.... They have 6 km of ancient (he says 1.5 million years old) river channel staked, 800' above the current level of the Tulameen river.... and have been working in the area for 8 years, seriously developing and digging for the last two.... The top 8' of the valley meadow they are working in is covered in "Marl" which is 10,000 year old shells from glacial lakes after the last ice age....

I don't know if you've ever seen an AC electromagnet, but they can pick up copper and aluminum, it's quite amazing.... I had plans for one from an old Popular Electronics magazine from the 1960s.... They work by inducing an electrical field in the metal, which in turn creates a magnetic field.... By changing the frequency, you can attract one metal more than another, and I assume that is how his separator works....

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMP View Post
    We"ve started using GoPro cameras at work. Very cool and they work very slick.

And they are Sean proof...which says something
    These GoPro guys seem like a funny bunch, did you see the guy who tweeted during a storm (tornadoes had touched down in North Texas, hail the size of softballs had littered the ground), saying, “I’m gonna strap a @GoPro to my head and run straight at this tornado.”
    GoPro responded, “Officially, we strongly advise you against doing this. However, should you do it anyway, please send us some video.”

Quote Originally Posted by DocGadget View Post
    These GoPro guys seem like a funny bunch, did you see the guy who tweeted during a storm (tornadoes had touched down in North Texas, hail the size of softballs had littered the ground), saying, “I’m gonna strap a @GoPro to my head and run straight at this tornado.”
    GoPro responded, “Officially, we strongly advise you against doing this. However, should you do it anyway, please send us some video.”
    Oddly I can relate to that
    Sean

+ Reply to Thread