ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crosman 22xx/13xx shoulder stock modification

Crosman 22xx/13xx shoulder stock modification

Crosman 2240/1377 shoulder stock modification.

If you bought a 22/1389 or 2250 it will have come with a shoulder stock. If you have a 22xx or 13xx pistol and want a bit more stability and possibly more accuracy you can buy a Crosman shoulder stock separately (part number 1399). In either case, you might find that the shoulder stocks, like the pistol grips, wobble a bit.

There is also a kitchen knife fix for this problem if you can get your hands on some duct tape and insulating foam. By creating 2 contact points for the stock I removed virtually all of the stock wobble. By building a tape pad on the base of the grip frame I removed much of the slack. I built up layers of tape (on only the bottom edge of the grip frame) until the securing screw holes and the screw lugs lined up when some force was applied to the shoulder stock in an upward direction.
    Pic #1shoulder stock 002.jpg
    Pic #2shoulder stock 011.jpg

Another spot I filled is in the rear of the pistol grip frame. With the stock installed, I could see a gap at the rear of the grip frame where it joins the upper edge of the shoulder stock. This is where insulating tape came in handy. I cut a piece that fit inside the “notch” of the shoulder stock where it meets the upper, back, underside of the grip frame.
    Pic #3shoulder stock 005.jpg
    Pic #4shoulder stock 006.jpg

Crosman engineers actually solved this problem with a set of parts in some models. According to the parts drawings, a pad (1389-070) was factory installed in the 2289; and, a spring and plunger (1322-017 and 1389-006 respectively) was installed in both the 1389 and 2289. However, the spring and plunger only worked on the original xx89 stocks and WILL NOT WORK in 1399 stocks. I only discovered this after manufacturing a plunger and attempting an install. Jokes on me!

If you are going the extra mile you might consider a bigger/taller cheek rest and butt pad. This becomes important if you expect to mount a scope and/or have long arms and could take advantage of the extra “pull.” You can find the solution in the pump house or in the crawl space under your home. He he he. Yup, we’re talking about water pipe insulation.

I cut ¾ inch tube insulation for the cheek rest and 1 inch tube insulation for the butt pad.
    Pic #5shoulder stock 012.jpg
    Pic #6shoulder stock 015.jpg
    I cut them with notches that help keep them from rotating on the plastic shoulder stock, and, so they interlock with each other. I then coated the contact areas on the plastic stock and the contact areas of the foam with silicone adhesive. A collection of tie-wraps was used to squish the foam on to the stock, and the contact areas between the two pieces of foam, and the foam joints or seams. Allowed to dry a couple of days, the end product is a fairly stable and clean installation. However, the tie-wraps did leave impressions in the foam and the foam will take on storage marks.
    Pic #7shoulder stock 019.jpg

As always, the above information invalidates all warranties, expressed or otherwise, and is written for entertainment purposes only and should never be tried at home as it may be illegal, lethal or possibly damage your gun. Not to mention, you could shoot somebody’s eye out. The good news is that I post with public domain rights to reprint. Copy left with no Copyright!

Shoot smart, shoot safely,
    Poor-man Plinker

Excellent post as always. I left the tie-wraps on mine and put electrical tape over it. It holds very well and doesn't look too bad.
    The best option of course is to get another wood stock from Joe Hickey when he has the time.

+ Reply to Thread