ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Molly's First Blue

Hybrid View

Molly's First Blue

We got out into some higher clearcuts today and saw three Dusky (Blue) Grouse and got one large male....

I saw the bird on the side of the road just entering some long grass.... By the time I was ready to take a shot, the bird was completely obscured by tall grass and I couldn't even make out what variety it was.... I held the crosshairs on the shadowy outline of its head and waited.... Soon the bird couldn't stand the suspense either and moved his head forward enough to have a look and being able to see his eye and half his head was enough to take a shot.... He dropped right on the spot, and while I was getting Molly out of the Rhino to "go fetch" my wife walked over to have a look at the biggest Grouse she had ever seen....

Molly made a dash in the direction I shot (she's learning to do that), overshot, did a quick turn and grabbed the bird.... I guess adrenalin and nerves took over, and the bird flapped until Molly subdued it.... The commotion flushed another (likely the female) about 20' away, I wish my brother had been there with his shotgun, he would have had a good chance at it.... It seems when Molly has a bird struggle, she bites down over the bird, preventing it from breathing and waits for me to come get it, or call her to me with it.... She is certainly getting the hang of it.... Here is the result of our hunt....

The breast weighed 1 lb. 1 oz.... It will make a wonderful Grouse Pot Pie.... and not only that, I have a new area to hunt Bluies....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Holy jumpins....That thing is a monster!

That's easily the biggest grouse I have ever seen.
    Sean

The logging clearcuts in the high country may look a mess initially.... but when you see the deer and the big blues move in after a couple of decades into the new growth it shows that even change isn't all bad....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Hi Bob
    All I can say is, Im Jealous! Bird hunting was most enjoyable thing for me. ted

+ Reply to Thread