ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5 Shots, 5 Grouse

5 Shots, 5 Grouse

Got my limit again today, this time 4 Franklin's and 1 Ruffed Grouse.... I used only 5 pellets for the day, and less than 200 psi of air....

From left to right, female Franklin's, two young males and a large male, and a young female Ruffed grouse.... The big Franklin's was doing an awesome display right in the middle of the road, challenging me.... Unfortunately for him, he didn't know I had a 25 yard reach.... His tail is still fanned out, and you can see the red comb over his eye if you look close.... We saw one other Ruffie running through cover while we were hunting, and two more on the way home after I got my limit.... I still haven't seen a Dusky (Blue) Grouse yet, although one of our guests got two this morning....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Now your just being annoying

Nice shootin Bob
    Sean

There's a daily limit, but no seasonal limit? You could eat grouse all year at this rate!
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

5 grouse per day, 15 is the possession limit (ie if you are on a multi-day hunt).... Once you get to the "place of consumption" and the birds are stored, the possession limit resets (but not the daily limit).... Sooooooo.... if you go out every day, then 5 grouse a day, Sept. 10 to Nov. 30.... Never happen, though.... I've shot enough Sprucies that I'm going to limit myself to 2-3 a day on those to make sure I don't have to pass up Ruffies or Blues from now on.... Trouble is, sometimes it's hard to tell, especially between the female Franklin's (Spruce Grouse) and a small Ruffie.... The tail feathers and the crest are the keys, and if you can't see the tail and/or the crest isn't up.... you might think it's a Ruffie and end up with a female Franklin's.... The first one I got yesterday (on the left) was like that.... Note how much it looks like the bird on the right.... until you "peel" it, and then the meat is much darker.... and a bit "gamier".... Not a huge deal, my wife uses them in curry dishes or a Vindaloo.... and saves the Ruffies and Blues for a Grouse Pot Pie or her "Smothered Grouse" (smothered in veggies) recipe.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Ruffies taste like a flavourful chicken (I like it more than chicken).... Dusky Grouse (Blues) taste a lot like turkey.... Ever see a Dusky Grouse male on display?....

Kind of like they have a built in bullseye....

Bob
    Last edited by rsterne; Sep 14 2012 at 09:38 AM.
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

+ Reply to Thread