ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Limited Out on Ruffies

Limited Out on Ruffies

Went out this afternoon for just over an hour just across the river.... We saw a total of 9, shot at 5 and got all 5.... 4 headshots and one at the base of the neck as he was facing away.... They were all Ruffed Grouse, two adults, two decent size youngsters, and one that was the smallest I've ever shot.... I'm guessing he was either hatched late, or possibly from a second brood....

Molly did a great job again today, although a couple she dropped on the side of the road near me and took off into the bush to chase more.... When I clean them, I do the "step on the wings and pull up on the feet" to separate the breast from the rest.... Cut off the wings, wash them up, bag them and freeze them....

I haven't shot my limit in a day for two years, so it was quite a treat.... especially to do it in just over an hour....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Looks tasty, and good shooting...

What sort of ranges are you picking these guys off at?
    "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should..."

15-35 yards, mostly under 25.... One of the Spruce Grouse I got on opening day I had to hold on top of his head I was so close he was blurry in a 4X scope set at 20 yards.... The shooting isn't difficult, it's getting a clear shot close enough to reliably hit them in the head that is the challenge.... and finding them, of course.... As the season progresses, it gets tougher as you have worked your way through the younger birds and have to find and get close enough to the parents who have more than one hunting season behind them.... The reward is that more of the birds you take later in the season are larger....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Nice shootin'! I can almost taste 'em. And all within an hour? Sweet!

Unfortunately, we have to wait a couple more weeks for the season here.

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

+ Reply to Thread