ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new posts or active topics

Why do I need to log in just to do a quick check of new posts/topics/threads?
    Are we keeping track of how many times a day I come for a quick look see?

I'm just asking...........

Thanks
    Fab

I have been able to visit and view the forum and its posts without signing in? I just tap the forum button and all the thread areas appear and I can then access them to quick view, but cannot post as I am not signed in. Not sure why you cannot though!
    Confucious says: He who slings mud, often loses ground!

Not sure what's going there. I just logged out and returned to the forum and could see the posts without logging in.

Try logging out using the "log out" button

Then clear your cache.

See if that works
    Sean

You can view the forum without "signing in"- although I believe you cannot view the "Buy Sell Trade" area without signing in. All the other regular forums are viewable by anyone/everyone- signed in or not.

If, however, you specifically log out and it still allows you to post things- there is a problem with this board.

And yes, I have discovered that alot of the new browsers are trying to "BS" people into how "fast" they are- both IE and Firefox, on the newest versions, by default, only refresh webpages "automatically"- as in we have no idea how frequently. The "refresh stored webpages" should be set to "every time I visit" in your browser for alot of things on the 'web to function properly.

But back to the original question:

If you are not logged in- how would the system determine what is "new" to you? Also, you don't get the same "privileges" of a member assigned to you- you are simply a "guest" and cannot do anything but view the basic things that have been "allowed" for the wide-open public to see. The only thing that the system records is the last time someone logged in so the very feature you are asking about works properly. This single piece of data is stored in the database, not a "cookie" on your machine- this way it doesn't matter if you log in from one machine or 50 different machines- you will always be able to start where you left off the last time.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

When I come to the forum and I click on the tab Forum I just get the index of all the topics this forum has and then I have to look on the right side of each topic to check the date/time of the last post made.....In the other forum similar to this one, I click on my link to the forum and my browser takes me to the place I want to be...lol and just below the header there is the option to
    View unanswered posts | View active topics and bingo, I can see the posts of the day and just do a quick scan down the page.
    My cache is emptied everytime I close my browser and I don't save tracking cookies so I don't know If it would help to save certain things but that would defeat my purpose.
    Do ya understand what I'm trying to say?? My vocabulary lacks and I can't really explain it better.....
    Fab
    Last edited by fabforce1; Jan 04 2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Click on the button labeled "New Posts" below the orange bar.

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    Click on the button labeled "New Posts" below the orange bar.
    I have to log in to be able to click on the "New Posts" link

I guess I will have to live with it but you do understand what I'm saying Eric?
    Any way let it go....I'm sure you have other things better to do. It just may be something I'm not seeing or doing something wrong.

Fab

Something else to look at- near the bottom of the page in a topic area- "Thread Display Options"- you can pick different display options.

You will have to log in.

You may not have noted it on other forums- but any forums/posts that you could not see because you were not logged in would not pull up when you selected a display option.

Just trying to explore all the possibilities here

Fab, is it possible that the "auto logon" feature was set at the other forum. If that was so then you would be logged in every time you visited and you would see the new topics as soon as you opened the site.
    Sean

+ Reply to Thread