ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My 2260/M-Rod/AR2078LE Frankengun

Hybrid View

Thanks, man!

It's not even close to the same quality of stuff you guys are doing, but I'm happy with it. That "gap" is really bugging me. Pouring rain out today, so I'm going to remedy that (besides, I like filling gaps... )

She shoots pretty good. With the PA cranked in, it shoots 16 gr Polymags @ 955-960, 14.66 gr H&N FTT's @ 985, but only getting about 20-25 shots. I currently have it set @ 2.5 turns out and am getting (IIRC) 45-50 shots @ 920-925 with Poly's. Plenty for a day of squirrel/rabbit hunting. At 25 yards it will put 10 shots into a ragged one hole, easily covered by a dime. At 50 yards it's about 3/4" (benchrested, of course) and blows through 3/4" plywood like it's not even there.

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

Instead of filling in the waist in the hammer you could grind a groove in the bottom of the hammer from the waist to the back (well technically you don't even need to go all the way to the back, just as far as the hammer can travel and hit the sear).... You don't need to do both.... A 1/8" wide groove is wide enough, same depth as the waist is plenty.... That amount of hammer weight is not a big deal unless you are a power hog....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    Instead of filling in the waist in the hammer you could grind a groove in the bottom of the hammer from the waist to the back
    Bob
    Thanks, Bob. That's what I ended up doing last night after work, although my groove is about 3/16" - 1/4" wide (thinnest grinding wheel I had for the dremel).Went about 2/3 of the way back, at the same depth of waist, as you stated. Lost a hair over a gram (60.5 - 59.4). Smoothed the edges of notch with 1000 grit wet/dry, then polished to a mirror finish and reassembled. I just got home from work, so as soon as dinner is over I will top off bottle and give it a test (provided the "General" doesn't have anythimg for me to do). Fingers crossed...on both accounts!

Poor-man Plinker - ...I could do something "like" that...

It's no secret that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer compared to others (most) here, and if I can do it, safely I might add, there's no reason why you or anyone else can't - as long as you pay attention to what the "guru's" say...

Todd
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    Instead of filling in the waist in the hammer you could grind a groove in the bottom of the hammer from the waist to the back
    Bob
    Bingo!!!

Did just that, reassembled after drilling a new bleed hole that would actually bleed air off, and I'm back to where I was before (10 fps more, actually)
    Life is good now!

Thanks for the advice, Bob!

Todd
    Todd

+ Reply to Thread