ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe or Silly?

Well I gotta say I'm with the general consensus. Pretty bad idea. I don't think it's a Darwin award because there just isn't enough volume to toss significant mass around when it fails. I think doing something mechanical into the valve body would have a better idea...and it would have the secondary benefit of adding some valve volume.
    Sean

Good call about the volume, Sean, I missed that....

It turns out that in the final version, there is only a "pinhole" feeding the space under the gauge.... Therefore, on further consideration.... if you have a very small hole feeding the space under the gauge, and that space is small, the "explosion" would be limited to maybe 1 FPE of energy released, depending on the volume and the pressure.... As shown, there is a potential for injury in the result of a failure.... That may not be the case if you keep the volume under the gauge, and the hole pressurizing it, small enough....

I still wouldn't do it, but in terms of safety, it MAY be OK because of the flow limiting "pinhole"....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

An Apology to Casey on the Green Forum....

I felt very strongly that the soft soldering of a gauge fitting on the outside of a Benji tube was unsafe.... Rather than simply discussing it on the Green Forum, however, I started threads about it on four other airgun forums entitled "Safe or Silly", and while it was not my intention to ridicule Casey, but to question the method, the result was I generated criticism of him, as well as better information and other ways of viewing the safety of the installation.... Once I learned that Casey restricted the flow with a pinhole, it was pointed out to me that the captured volume was small enough to not be dangerous, and I have agreed with that on this and the other Forums.... However, I had no right to take this further than the Green Forum, regardless of what my intentions were, and for that I apologize....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Few people these days will admit a mistake, fewer still apologize publicly. I suppose they lack a sense of personal honour.
    I respect you for this post Bob.
    Red.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    An Apology to Casey on the Green Forum....

I felt very strongly that the soft soldering of a gauge fitting on the outside of a Benji tube was unsafe.... Rather than simply discussing it on the Green Forum, however, I started threads about it on four other airgun forums entitled "Safe or Silly", and while it was not my intention to ridicule Casey, but to question the method, the result was I generated criticism of him, as well as better information and other ways of viewing the safety of the installation.... Once I learned that Casey restricted the flow with a pinhole, it was pointed out to me that the captured volume was small enough to not be dangerous, and I have agreed with that on this and the other Forums.... However, I had no right to take this further than the Green Forum, regardless of what my intentions were, and for that I apologize....

Bob

+ Reply to Thread