Quote Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
I've heard that typical gun oil is too corrosive for use on airguns and that it's formulated for powder burners to remove the byproduct of igniting the gunpowder in the shell.
Am I correct?
Here they are referring to cleaning the bore and chamber of residue from powder, which is itself corrosive. You don't need that type of oil for an airgun, so put it away.

I'm under the impression that for airgun maintenance you should use white lithium grease for metal parts that slide together and silicone oil for pivot points like within the trigger maintenance.
Depending on what metal parts you want to lube, lithium grease may be OK, like in a trigger. It is generally accepted that a high moly content grease is the right lube for everything behind the piston seal in a springer. I use moly on my trigger group sometimes mixed up with a bit of SAE30 ND as a carrier.
Silicone oil is not recommended for metal to metal contact as it can cause galling of the metal. Silicone is good for synthetic to synthetic or synthetic to metal. Since most springer piston seals nowadays are synthetic, and silicone oil has a high flash point it is recommended for lubing inside the compression chamber if you must, and for lubing seals in PCPs guns and pumps.
But no silicone on metal/metal.

And I have to second on the opinion expressed that WD40 is evil and not to be used as a lubricating oil. It will displace any oil or grease and only lubricate temporarily. Eventually you'll have to spray it again.
WD40 has to be the most popular degreaser/cleaner misused as a lubricant in the whole world. You gotta love WD40, let he who has never used it as a lubricant speak now of forever hold his oil can.... or something like that.