ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safe oil for lube.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I use pellgunoil on my pumpmaster, I dont have to worry about seals crumbling do I?
    Jeremy, I think cdnairgunner is refering to airguns that have only had Pellgun oil and are aged also. My personal opinion, and I am almost a new to this as you are, is that all seals will eventually fail no matter what oil you use. So it is probably safe to say, without getting tooo much grief, that your current use of pell gun oil is not going to have you gun fail prematurely.... Just get a better grade of oil next time.
    This is just my uninformed opinion and should not be taken as gospel; it is an opinion derived from my reading between the lines.

Nothing lasts forever- not seals, not steel, not your house. Just keep the guns lubed (not over-lubed) and you can't do much better other than taking normal care in handling them otherwise (i.e. don't get wet, wipe done when finished shooting, etc.).
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Cheers Eric, I appreciate it. If I want to replace the seals when they fail on the 760 this is what I will need right?

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/...seal-kit-p-568

Sorry to ask this question over the OP question.

For 760's with the removable pellet magazine, that would be the kit.

Oh shoot, mine isn't the removable pellet magazine one. Its about 15 years old.

If it's 15 years old it should be the removable magazine model (you can use the magazine or not- if you have a square channel going across the top of the rifle at the loading port with 'hooks' on the top edge hanging down it can take the magazine)- I believe every Model 760 since the early 80s was the magazine-capable version. Earlier versions had a more 'sloped' channel in the top- i.e. no guide for a magazine to fit.

maybe it is older Eric, it is sloped and doesn't have a square channel. Come to think of it is was probably bought in the early 90's

I've heard that typical gun oil is too corrosive for use on airguns and that it's formulated for powder burners to remove the byproduct of igniting the gunpowder in the shell.
    Am I correct?

I'm under the impression that for airgun maintenance you should use white lithium grease for metal parts that slide together and silicone oil for pivot points like within the trigger maintenance.

When I find the time I'd like to clean & lubricate my blowback pistols to improve the trigger action/sensitivity and the power. If the slide is able to move more freely then the velocities should increase.

And I have to second on the opinion expressed that WD40 is evil and not to be used as a lubricating oil. It will displace any oil or grease and only lubricate temporarily. Eventually you'll have to spray it again.
    Benjamin NP Trail (0.22)
    Stoeger X5 (0.177)
    SIG Sauer X-Five Open (0.177)
    H&K MP5-PDW (0.177)
    Crosman 3576 (0.177)
    Crosman 1377 (0.177)
    Elite II (0.177)
    Colt Defender (0.177)
    Colt Combat Special (0.177)

Quote Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
    When I find the time I'd like to clean & lubricate my blowback pistols to improve the trigger action/sensitivity and the power. If the slide is able to move more freely then the velocities should increase.
    I have been following this thread and I have yet to see anyone recommend a graphite based - Dry Slide!!?? OK shoot me for saying this, but, certain professionals in the trade recommend it for trigger mechanisms especially. Anyone have any thoughts on the use of graphite for trigger groups. I like the way it performed in the 1077 all plastic magazine assembly... even though is is a bit messy (black powder that is hard to control). Would this be good for SureShots application?

Well that's a good point.

Whenever I teardown a trigger group for myself I "spraypaint" all the parts and the housing with dry graphite spray. Graphite spray.jpgThen I point lubricate the pivots and contact faces with my favorite lube.PJ1.jpg

I'm not sure how it would work on a slide I've never tried....seems reasonable.
    Sean

+ Reply to Thread