ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safe oil for lube.

Ha ha ha... That is funny Eric. I do put on an anti-UV suit in the morning. The sun is so blasted close to the equator.

So the thing that makes Pell gun oil the recomendation (other than the fact Crosman sells the product) is the low flash point? So the issue here is flash point and not petrol based product? What about the "eats the seals" story that seems so popular?

You know me... All I know is what I read and I have read many interesting things about airguns that pass as "fact." Personally, I would rather read of you guys breaking the box than find out by breaking the bank on my pleasant pasttime.

I think one of the important points of what I said got overlooked.

Especially sprays that use butane or propane as the propellant....it's rather exciting having the pump fly out of your hand with a jolt.
    Not only can it be done but in fact I did it on Friday with Mr Erics 1400.

I have a favorite lubricant that has amazingly high lubricity that I like to use on pump assemblies...Unfortunately it's a spray. No problem if you allow the carrier to flash off.

Seals are not the issue. Buna nitrile is compatible with any petroleum product your likely to put in a pellet gun. For me the issue is gumming. That's what I see all the time. Cheap regular oils turn into varnish.

So I recommend Synthetic sewing machine oil for everything.It's available at any sewing store
    Last edited by SeanMP; Aug 30 2012 at 06:43 AM.
    Sean

^X2, sprays are a bad idea unless you wait for the carrier to flash off.... Sorry, Eric, not trying to get all paranoid on ya!....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Sean pretty much said it all, though to add a bit of info I personally like to use ATF in all my guns. Silicone is just as good or even better, but I find ATF to be the most cost effective solution.

Hmmmm, ATF? Has about the same colour and consistency as Pell gun oil? I wonder if there is a causal relationship here? Ha ha ha

I actually thought so at first too, but they are totally different. Pellgunoil (these days anyways) is basically motor oil, there is an MSDS out there on it that me and Doc looked up a while ago. ATF is slightly different and a whole lot cheaper and easier to come by. I find that seals last longer when using ATF, but that is just my finding. I have pulled too many crumbling seals out of guns that have used straight Pellgunoil to keep on using it.

Here is the MSDS from Crosman http://www.crosman.com/pdf/msds/MSDS-PELLGUNOIL.pdf
    and the flyer from the actual manufacturer http://www.le-international.com/uplo...50%20Flyer.pdf
    It's a nice read

That is really funny. They are selling a thimble full of diesel oil from a standard that's been obsolete since 1995.

So in terms of lubricants that will exceed the performance of this in a BUNA Nitrile, compressed air environment

Any TDTO oil
    Any 10-20 W Hydraulic oil
    Any synthetic compressor oil
    Any synthetic air tool oil
    Any synthetic #1 or #2 machine oil
    Any turbine oil
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by cdnairgunner View Post
    I actually thought so at first too, but they are totally different. Pellgunoil (these days anyways) is basically motor oil, there is an MSDS out there on it that me and Doc looked up a while ago. ATF is slightly different and a whole lot cheaper and easier to come by. I find that seals last longer when using ATF, but that is just my finding. I have pulled too many crumbling seals out of guns that have used straight Pellgunoil to keep on using it.
    I use pellgunoil on my pumpmaster, I dont have to worry about seals crumbling do I?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMP View Post
    That is really funny. They are selling a thimble full of diesel oil from a standard that's been obsolete since 1995.

So in terms of lubricants that will exceed the performance of this in a BUNA Nitrile, compressed air environment

Any TDTO oil
    Any 10-20 W Hydraulic oil
    Any synthetic compressor oil
    Any synthetic air tool oil
    Any synthetic #1 or #2 machine oil
    Any turbine oil
    Yes but do they come in convenient little squirtable containers?

+ Reply to Thread