ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Happens Inside a Disco

What Happens Inside a Disco

Lloyd_ss recently sent me a copy of his latest spreadsheet that we use to examine what is happening inside PCPs.... The variables include the caliber, pellet weight, air pressure, valve dwell, reservoir volume, transfer port volume, barrel length, pellet drag (sliding), pellet breakaway force, and an efficiency factor (typically from 50-70%).... Most of the numbers are easy, the "art" in making the spreadsheet output useful information comes from balancing the valve dwell and the efficiency factor to make the outputs match observed results (ie FPE and air usage).... For any given set of results, there is only one value of dwell and efficiency that provides a match.... There are many outputs, but the coolest thing on the latest version is a graph which allows you to compare three sets of data visually.... I input the data from a stock Disco shooting 15.9 gr. JSB Exacts for three pressures, 2000 psi (fill pressure), 1700 psi (velocity peak), and 1200 psi (refill pressure).... Those pressures are the range that produced velocities within a 4% window, starting at 774 fps, peaking at 809 fps, and falling back to 779 fps.... The average was 797 fps (22.4 FPE) and the efficiency over the 25 shots was 1.28 FPE/CI.... However, at the beginning of the string, each shot only uses about 20 psi, while at the end it is using over 40 psi....

There is a LOT of information on that graph.... First, look at the pressure curves, and note where the valve closes (where the plateau ends), and what the residual pressure is at the muzzle (end).... At 2000 psi the pellet has only travelled about 2" when the valve closes, and the muzzle pressure is about 200 psi (and the gun is relatively quiet).... At 1700 psi, the valve is open until the pellet has moved almost 4", and the residual pressure is roughly 300 psi (gun getting louder).... At the end of the string at 1200 psi, the valve is open until the pellet has travelled 7.5", and the gun is much louder with the muzzle pressure being nearly 400 psi.... While it's not on the graph, the efficiency for these three cases is about 1.75 FPE/CI at 2000 psi, 1.27 FPE/CI at 1700, and only 0.9 FPE/CI at 1200 psi.... A short pulse of high pressure is much more efficient than a long, steady push....

Now look at the velocity curves.... They are different shapes, but they all end up at nearly the same place, within a 4% spread averaging 800 fps.... The FPE curves tell the story about how the pellet gains energy from the air charge.... At 2000 psi, most of the energy is applied to the pellet in the first third of it's travel (8"), at which point it ends up with the same energy (15 FPE) as the 1700 psi case.... At 1200 psi, the pellet only reaches the same energy as the 2000 psi case at the very end of the barrel, getting a long, slow shove all the way to the muzzle.... I think it's a real eye-opener what is actually happening inside a PCP.... I'd like to personally thank Lloyd Sikes for the countless hours he has spent developing and continually improving this spreadsheet.... and in particular for sharing it with me.... I find it invaluable....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

This is amazing stuff Bob. I only hope I can ingest the info and be able to digest enough of it for me to get the "bigger picture." I am real interested in how pellet guns work and which adjustment will create which result. The sur a short pulse of high pressure, only applies at PCP type pressures and the efficiency of low power, CO2/Pump levels have different rules that apply???

Nope, it also applies to a pumper and a springer.... If you had a pumper set up for retained air, pumped it to high pressure, and only used a light hammer hit you would get good velocity from only a small amount of air.... Springers use a short pulse of high pressure all the time....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

+ Reply to Thread