ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chopping up my AR2078A stock

Chopping up my AR2078A stock

I wanted to run my AR on HPA for FT so the fps would be consistent, but found that tethering a 13 ci bottle with a coil hose to be rather cumbersome. I know, some of you are probably asking - "Why not get a '79 as it is already set up to run off a bottle"? Well, to be quite honest, I'm not overly fond of the looks of a '79 (short forestock, bottle pointing straight out, etc...) Nothing wrong with the gun itself from a performance POV, just my personal preferance is all.
    So, I purchased a bulk fill fitting from Eric and swapped the male Foster fitting for a 90* elbow, a 1 1/2" x 1/8" NPT pipe nipple from Swagelok (rated for 5000 psi), and robbed the ASA on/off valve from my coil hose. A bit of cutting/inletting later and this is what I came up with (don't look too close as I have made a few "boo-boo's"! )

I was a little hesitant at first about running the stock through the bandsaw, but I'm glad I did. Makes for a more sleek, user friendly rig with no hose dangling off the front. Plus, with it shaped to the radius of the bottle, it makes a nice "cradle" for the bottle to sit in - no worries about bottle shifting side to side and stressing the threaded joints. Surprisingly, the balance point is dead center on the stock mounting bolt and as a result is very comfortable to shoot.

Not "mind-blowing" work by any means, but thought a few of you might like the idea for your own AR!

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

Brilliant!

I agree I like the '78 stock much better as well. How did you get such a nice radius .....you have a shaper don't ya.
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMP View Post
    How did you get such a nice radius .....you have a shaper don't ya.
    LOL...if by "shaper" you mean a Dremel, and then a 12" long piece of 2" ABS pipe wrapped with 60, 120, then 220 grit sandpaper, then yes, I do own one!

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

I think that looks really sharp, and hey.... my favorite shaper is a Dremel too!!! Nice work, really clean looking way to bottle feed it.

+ Reply to Thread