ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crossman 1077 Repeat-air review

Crossman 1077 Repeat-air review

Review of the Crosman 1077 repeat air.
    This is an entry level carbine that is both compact and light weight. If you like to sling up a pellet gun and go hiking this would be a good plinker for the event. With Scope, CO2, 12 .177 caliber Pellets, Sling and Swivels it weighs 4.9 pounds. Without scope, co2, and ammo it only weighs 3.6 pounds. I added the sling and swivels.

The overall length is 37 inches and, with a reach of only 13 inches, was built for little people. However, it boasts the “ideal” barrel length of 20 and ¾ inches. I added a Monte Carlo check rest with one inch ID water pipe insulation and contact cement. To keep my hands off the magazine and to improve ergonomics I also added a forearm pad of the same material.

As a CO2 powered arm it is well suited to the “semi-auto” loading mechanism. It is in fact a 12 round double action revolver with a detachable clip and magazine. The trigger pull revolves the clip in the magazine creating a heavy trigger pull of 9.7 pounds. Without the magazine, the trigger pull is still a healthy 7.9 pounds and that is after lightening the mechanism, but, without any internal polishing or lube.

To reduce the pull weight and a little drag against the trigger and hammer, I removed the trigger cross block safety and the internal anti-half cock hammer drop safety. There is a small spring and lever that prevents releasing the trigger pull quickly that might cause the hammer to hit against the valve stem with enough force to cause an accidental discharge. I prefer the Glock handgun style safety… If you do not want to discharge the arm do not put your finger on the trigger.

Muzzle velocity? The top performance that I found during three test sessions with 13 different types of pellets was 685 f.p.s. with a 5.09 grain pointed pellet from the 6th shot of a CO2 cylinder. This was measured at 6 yards from the muzzle during an 83 degree ambient temperature. The impact group from that three shot string was 12/16 of an inch at 12.5 yards.

The tightest impact group at that same distance was in the best 3 of 5 shots of a 7.22 grain domed pellet at a median speed of 460 f.p.s. The 3 of 5 shot group measured 5/16 of an inch during an ambient temperature of 80 degrees. Because the pellets are unsorted and to account for fliers and my own poor marksmanship; I only measured the best three in the group of five. That same pellet produced a 9/16 inch group of 3-only at a median speed of 578 f.p.s. at 83 degrees during a separate test session.

From the 3 different cylinder tests the carbine seems to support 30 shots and then quickly drops below 400 f.p.s. at 6 yards. Shots 31 to 42 brought the velocity down to 260 f.p.s. and the next five shots produced a very off-sounding 150 f.ps. shot. It is a good little shooter and makes similar types of groups and velocities with pellets from 3.5 grain to 10.87 grain regardless of the style of the pellet head.

There is one design flaw that I have not resolved. Granted this problem might be particular to my product, but, mine has a gas system problem. When new out of the box, it opened less than ten CO2 cylinders before it would not open them consistently. The piercing tube is too thin and the fix is very fussy. I ordered two more piercing disks and after installing one it would not open any cylinders. I had to thin down the gas seal to get it to work properly. Now it has inconsistent occasion to lose some gas upon CO2 cylinder installation.

I may soon be able to fix this problem by adjusting the disk securing nut. I like the carbine very much, other than that little problem, and many friends have enjoyed piercing tin cans and knocking little holes in pieces of paper.

Piercing pins may not be the issue- it may be the Co2 cartridges if they have a "soft" cap on them (it does happen on occasion)- try some different caplets and see what occurs.

The 1077 can't be had "detuned" in Canada any longer- Crosman stopped producing the reduced-power versions for the Canadian market in 2007 as one of the big-boxes decided to stop carrying it on their shelves. Seems even an "exclusive" order of 400-500 units isn't enough to get them to product it again for Canada...

It is a neat little gun for experimenting on, however.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Thanks Eric,

Here in the back waters there is not much choice in CO2 cartridges.... like none ha ha ha. Get what I can, when I can. Happens to be Daisy for now.

The pin was actually deformed/shortened by the cartridges. Maybe the particular brand I had were "hard" caps and caused the damage. It was an off brand in the US that I initially used that caused the "pin"/tube to deform.

For the few 1077 owners up your way (I know you are there from the old forum posts) I will still post my "mod" results when I get around to that project. Still need to practice with the photos and "chalk talk."

We could talk long and hard about Crosman policy... but, to what end? I agree, this a great little plinker, right out of the box.

+ Reply to Thread