ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Backyard Range Taking Shape

Backyard Range Taking Shape

LOL...Still a project in progress, so no laughing!

Had some scrap lumber/plywood kicking around, so I made up some target holders for a 50 yard range. Terrain is uneven, so I don't think there are any 2 that are the same height! Tried to keep the targets as level as possible with my bench so I could get a fairly accurate reading when sighting in.

Pic from the bench:

Targets are at 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards. As much as I love Chairgun, I still like to see "real-world" results first hand. Each target has a spinner of sorts attached for when I get tired of changing paper targets. 3/8" @ 10 yards up to 1-1/8" @ 50 yards.
    Here is a pic of the 40 yard "spinner" (7/8"):

And finally, my high-tech shooting bench!

Now that I have the basic dimensions figured out, I can start fabricating a more permanent, refined, metal setup - IF I can put the rifle down long enough!

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

I like it!
    Set the table up in a nice shady spot too....How are the skeeters sit'n among the trees?
    Remember! Blue side up.

Quote Originally Posted by fabforce1 View Post
    How are the skeeters sit'n among the trees?
    Not too bad through the day, actually. Getting on towards dusk though?...well, enter at your own risk!

They have been blamed for the odd "flyer"...

Todd
    Todd

Dude...that is soooo sweet. I can definitely see a lazy afternoon out there with the pines.
    Sean

Todd, I envy all the space you have for shooting. That is a really nice set-up you have there.

Do you shoot off of bean bags? Are you going to incorporate a forearm rest into the bench? I know bench rest shooting is not like off hand shooting, but, is great for actually seeing what the gun will do at its best.

Someday I will post a pic of my luxury bench ha ha ha. I sit iin a plastic patio chair and have a bag of rice sitting on the rung of a step ladder. I used a lazer level to get the target in line with the muzzle. Happy shooting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poor-man Plinker View Post
    Todd, I envy all the space you have for shooting. That is a really nice set-up you have there.

Do you shoot off of bean bags? Are you going to incorporate a forearm rest into the bench? I know bench rest shooting is not like off hand shooting, but, is great for actually seeing what the gun will do at its best.

Someday I will post a pic of my luxury bench ha ha ha. I sit iin a plastic patio chair and have a bag of rice sitting on the rung of a step ladder. I used a lazer level to get the target in line with the muzzle. Happy shooting!!!
    LOL...you live in Costa Rica and you're envious of MY shooting space? Oh, man - I would trade any day! (at least for the winter months)

My "bean bag" (you're going to love this) is actually a car jack with the top piece from a monopod threaded into it! As hokey as it sounds, it actually works quite well to adjust the elevation. Not sure if I will incorporate a forearm rest into the bench or not. Probably not, as (like you said) about the only time I use the rest is when I'm dialing the gun in, rest of the time I shoot offhand.

As for your luxury bench - whatever works! I use the ladder (or the roof of the car) for my chrony stand.

Cheers for now,
    Todd

PS - I love your screen name, BTW. In case you haven't figured it out, it pretty much describes me to a T!
    Todd

Well is it finished?

I keep checking the mailbox for an invitation to a range party
    Sean

I think Sean is hinting that maybe some people in Eastern Ontario are waiting for a shooting invite...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    I think Sean is hinting that maybe some people in Eastern Ontario are waiting for a shooting invite...

ANYTIME you guys want to come out to sling some lead, shoot the sh!t, maybe even kill a couple pints (?), by all means - feel free. PM me when the urge arise!

@ Sean: "Am I finished"...? HA! Good one! I haven't even started yet!
    Between being crazy busy at work, working on the house, and just life in general right now, I probably won't get to it 'till winter (my downtime).

Cheers,
    Todd
    Todd

+ Reply to Thread