ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contest Entries Posting Thread (here)...

My entry, customized AR2078 “Erica”

I got the CO2 bug last year, marking the end of a 52 year exclusive to springers. This rifle has been the most fun to customize and tune and thanks to the various forums and mainly to the good people on this forum for making this come about. I named it “Erica” after our founder and because I name all my guns “Eric”, after Michael Palin although you don’t need a licence for a non-PAL rifle. Details: Customized to bulk fill, and run tethered to a 20 oz CO2 bottle. Brass barrel band, oversize bolt handle, brass muzzle weight w/air stripper, Fitco 6-24 x40 AO scope modded to focus at 7 yards-infinity. Internal mods: Polished hammer, bolt, and leade; new seals throughout, custom undersized TP seal to keep it under 500 fps, 2 setscrews in barrel at breach, and a few custom dings in the stock (my bad). I’m really happy with this rifle, it’s very consistent at 480 fps (75F CO2, JSB Exact RS) and rested it will put 5 shots into a single hole at 10 yards. It likes the JSB RS, not so good on CPHP. The first picture is as it was stock from S&A, second with barrel weight, the next pictures as it sits now:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dukemeister; Aug 09 2012 at 07:05 AM.
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

Quote Originally Posted by Dukemeister View Post
    ... scope modded to focus at 7 yards-infinity...
    How did you mod the/a scope?
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    How did you mod the/a scope?
    Eric, the AO adjustment ring `fell off`for no good reason during one of my many strip down procedures. While off I noticed I could turn the objective lens in and out pretty easily, so I just turned it out some (I believe) and gorilla glued the AO ring back on. It looked to me that the AO ring was just glued with cyanoacrylate type glue to begin with. I was not impressed, but for a $50 scope it seems to be holding up. I find that dialed all the way back it will now focus to 7 yards, 20 yard mark is good at 10 yards, 300 yd mark for 30 yards, and infinity works at 50+ yards. Good enough for me! BTW, it`s pretty much useless at mag beyond 16x; As Rsterne pointed out to me (us) a 40mm objective lens just doesn`t have enough exit pupil for higher mags. I bought this model specifically because the Fitco site listed it with focus 30ft to infinity. I can tell you out of the box it wouldn`t focus to 30 ft, best I could do with it was around 40 ft, so it was lucky for me it fell apart.
    Last edited by Dukemeister; Aug 09 2012 at 08:25 AM.
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

Well, that is one argument for cheapo optics such as the Fitco- if it don't do what it's supposed to, pull it apart and "adjust" as it's not a big financial loss in any event!
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Converted my 2250 to a 2550 using one of the .25 Marauder barrels purchased from Eric. As I understand, these barrels are made by Green Mountain in the US for Crosman...they sure are a nicer product to work with. Kept the o-ring seal as used in the Marauder (o-ring is in the barrel rather than on the bolt) which greatly simplified the manufacture of the flow through bolt. Bolt handle is 316 stainless. Scope is a Leapers 3-9x32, reciever is a standard Crosman unit. Have done the "standard" polish/lube/spring replacement with the trigger group...not bad, but I think it needs a shoe. Have yet to decide whether to shorten the barrel or fit the barrel band...I like it the way it is...for now. :)

The stock is of my own design/manufacture, and incorporates an RVA into the stock mount. (pic is of the RVA on my 2289, but this one is identical)

The same hex wrench used to remove the stock and loosen the adjustment lock is used to make the adjustment. A cone profile helps to guide the wrench into the grub screw.

Striker bore is polished, striker and spring are coated with Jigaloo spray on graphite...unaffected by changes in temperature.(2289 pieces again)

Al

There are so many beautiful arms here it would be hard to choose just one. Having a perchant for the 2240 power plant I am especially fond of this piece of work by Al. However, pardon my continuing questions, I have only a couple years in airguns and limited recources and tools, so, I will ask some silly questions and make lots of spelling errors.

Straighten me out here? The caption over the striker and spring says "Striker ... and spring are ...2289 pieces again)" The spring does seem like a #781-A051 (1377/2289), but the striker looks like a #2250-A006 (2240/2250)? It is hard to tell without a reference. Does the RVA reduce the striker tube? My US purchased CO2, 2240, strikers are larger than Pump,1377, strikers. It would seem to flop around in the gas tube.

I like the idea of polishing the striker bore, but, is there any reason not to polish the striker itself? Polishing the striker was my first approach to smoothing out the striker's ride. I had not considered polishing the bore. Now I will.

Art,
    "The more that I know, the more that I know I don't know."

2240/2260 carbine

My 2240 converted into a 2260 carbine. It has a C.B. breach, custom bolt, ventilated lower hand guard, bedliner wood grips, 19 inch barrel, adjustable stock, and a restricted transfer port.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Art, the strikers used in the 2289 and 2240/50/60 are not interchangeable...I just don't have pics of the pieces that are inside the 2250...same treatment of the pieces though, and the pics get the idea across quicker than a bunch of words.

This is a pic of an RVA borrowed from Erics site...

RVA_2300.jpg

Sorry for any confusion.

Guess I'd better edit that post when I get home and actually upload the pics hmm?

Al

Seems to me we used to be able to edit our posts but I no longer see an edit button on old posts...bad memory or has that changed for some reason?

Anyhoo...perhaps a mod or admin can edit these in for me???? :)

IMG_3569 (Small).JPG

IMG_2948 (Small).JPG

IMG_2949 (Small).JPG

IMG_2947 (Small).JPG

Thanks,

Al

Al, thanks for the update. Forgive the stupid questions and the fact I have a learning curve like the trajectory of a muzzle loading canon ball. I get it.. It is a 2240 striker and 1377 spring. My 1377-760 rifle conversion is apart and last night the striker bore got the 220 grit treatment spun on 1/2 OD poly tube, followed by bore cleaner on wads of papertowel spun in my cordless drill (Caveman tuning). Thanks for the great idea.

I get the RVA too, bought one direct myself for my 177 rifle conversion on the 2240 power plant. Somehow I got the striker proportion wrong in the pic. Me aculpa. I do appreciate your time and effort in clairifying my misunderstanding.

Thanks,

+ Reply to Thread