ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: QB-18 first impressions

QB-18 first impressions

I picked up my QB-18 .22 cal from Scopes and Ammo yesterday, and have just given it a once over. My first impressions are that this is a nicely finished Chinese rifle, I'm particularly pleased with the grain, and detail of the wood stock. Overall, the visible metal is deeply blued, but not finely finished. The breach area of the compression tube (forks) and scope groves have very sharp edges. The breach leade itself is somewhat crude and not centred, the crown is "tight": with pellet pushed through using a wooden dowel it sticks when the skirt gets to the crown. Visible rifling marks were left on a CPHP pushed through, both skirt and head. The crown passed the Q-tip test, not a fibre remaining - but like most rifles of this ilk, a bit of polishing with a brass ball and compound is in order. This bodes well for future accuracy tests.
    This rifle will clean up nicely, and it has potential. It's dieseling like a freight train with 2 dozen pellets through but CPHP are consistently between 495 and 499.5 fps, curiously none over 500 fps. Superdomes are doing a bit better. I cleaned the bore with wet then dry patches, about 10 wet ones and 5 dry ones. The usual brown preservative came out of it.
    The safety is easy to operate, and what I like is that it has a very positive release with a loud click. The trigger was very stiff to begin with, I was double checking the safety because the pull weight is tremendous. Either I got used to it or it is lightening up with use (I think the latter), but it's improving. The breach lockup is very positive, also with a firm click. The recoil is tame. I haven't sighted it in, but I was on paper at 20m with the factory sights, which are fibre optic and of decent quality. I will put a tin through it and see what it can do before tearing into it. The trigger will get some attention for sure, I didn't mention but it breaks quite cleanly, even with its mammoth pull weight.
    So, overall my opinion is that this is a decent rifle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

looks good is it heavy?

No, not heavy, abt 6lbs. I was shooting offhand and it balances well. It's quite long at 43 inches, but still fits in my gun cabinet without leaning over like my CZ631. I think I'll go play with it now.....

Well, a tin of pellets later and this rifle, still smoking, it is putting 10 pellets in a 2.5" circle at 30 yards. With open sights and my eyes, the target is smaller than the front sight so the rifle is more accurate than it sounds. My arm is sore after 500 cocking strokes, so time to put it away for today.
    Just took off the stock, the plastic screw covers over the fore stock screws just pop off. One stock screw was loose, the other was tight as was the trigger screw. Finish inside the stock is very good. The mainspring looked very smooth and was covered in machine oil. I eased some Moly onto the trigger sear and into the cocking slot.
    I sighted it in today with Daisy HP pellets they are crappy pellets but good for breaking it in. About 1/3 of them had deformed skirts leading to a bit of scatter in the "groups". Overall, it sighted in with the rear windage cranked almost fully right. I'm not sure, but I think it may be the particular pellets. I'd convinced myself that the barrel was bent left, but a laser line shows the front sight is perfectly in line all the way down the barrel, down the compression chamber and through the screw for the scope stop, so its dead centre all the way along. Has anyone experience this before?
    I'll keep this QB18 with open sights for a while, I have too many rifles now and no more scopes. The trigger is it's only negative... way too heavy.

Here is the stock, removed:

This is the barrel from a shooters view, note how the rear sight is off to the right.

Thia is the laser shining down the compression tube. See how it passes centre of compression, through the centre of the rear sights and the front sight... they are all in line.

More evidence of straight barrel, laser at the front sight

laser down centre of barrel

laser at centre of elevation adjustment screw

laser at centre of scope stop screw.... all in a straight line, front sight to scope stop.

Here is the main spring

and the trigger

and last the breach area with pivot screw:]

Duke that looks like a really good rifle. Nice to see even the detail on the barrel pivot screw. Impressive!

The first place I would look for that sight alignment issue is the crown and the first 1/8" past the crown. Use a loupe or a magnifying glass.

I can't wait to see one for myself
    Sean

I would suggest the crown as well- or try some other pellets to see if anything changes. The Daisy pellets never used to come with bent skirts, but maybe they aren't handling them so well anymore- maybe I'll open a few random packages to see what's in the tins.

This is also what I was trying to say in that original post on these QB18's coming in- they are a very nice rifle, but it becomes a question of how to improve the trigger and up the power for those people that have or get a PAL and want to bring it up a bit...
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Thanks for the advice. I examined the crown and near muzzle with a Jewellers loupe and determined the crown was a bit out of round, but the bore seemed clean and smooth with no apparent machining chatter. I went ahead and polished the crown with some compound and a round head brass screw. Then I re sighted with RWS Superdomes and the sights moved left about 10 clicks; it's still off centre but is now quite reasonable. The big differences, 200 more pellets later (so 700 through it) are it's no longer dieseling and the trigger has absorbed my moly mopping and the pull has lightened considerably. The power is spot on 500 fps, and overall the performance is very good. So good in fact, I am satisfied to just keep shooting it without further intervention.
    I give this one 2 dukes up. (It isn't a Wiehrauch but for the $100 spent its a decent shooter) - Really all I have done is polish crown and breach, dab a bit of moly on cocking slot, pivot and trigger sears, tighten stock screws, and clean the bore with patches, and shoot it a bunch. This will make a great non-Pal pest eliminator if you want to tackle up to 5 lb critters.

That's great news Duke. Amazing what a wonky crown can do.
    Sean

hmm... That looks alot like my beeman with checkered grips?
    For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch

Quote Originally Posted by remtom1200 View Post
    hmm... That looks alot like my beeman with checkered grips?
    Indeed it is. Here is a link to the Dealer section:
    http://www.canadianairguns.com/showt...1049F%29/page2

+ Reply to Thread