Just a quick test of the new 19 gr. .22 cal H&N Hunter Extreme Pellets.... I shot some, plus some 18 gr. JSB Heavies, into a Vinegar jug full of water, and into a block of parafin wax.... The Vinegar jug is a bit heavier material than a milk jug, and is about 8" thick.... The JSBs went right through, and were unrecovered.... Two of the three H&Ns did the same, but the exit hole was partially closed up, the third remained in the jug, and is in the photo on the left.... You can see there is little change other than a slight expansion and flattening of the nose....

I then fired them into a 1.5" thick block of parafin wax.... The JSB penetrated about 1.12" and was not very distorted.... It is on the right in the photo.... The H&N Hunter Extreme opened up, with two of the petals bending right around and resting against the side of the body, the other two were little changed, so I'm guessing the pellet yawed on entering the wax.... It penetrated about 0.75", roughly two-thirds the distance of the JSB.... It is in the middle in the photo....

The rifle used was my Grouse Gun, which shoots 20 FPE.... so the velocity with the JSB would have been slightly over 700 fps and with the H&Ns should have been slightly under (I didn't Chrony them).... This appears to be insufficient velocity to cause expansion of the Hunters in water.... Further tests in other media will be necessary at a variety of velocities to get an idea of how they will perform on game....

Bob