ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Pellets in Holland

Hybrid View

Bob I would say stick with the production bullets for a couple reasons. They look like RWS R50 and if so they are super soft annealed lead and free of voids and a fancy coating to boot.

I'm afraid cast boolits would be inherently too hard and at these spins rates if the was any void or inclusion the would be going around like an egg beater.

Did he happen to say what a mandrel was worth to pay for outright?
    Sean

Just to give some perspective on this new caliber

The top shooters are hitting a quarter 28/30 at 100m

The worst are managing 25/30
    Sean

LOL...yes I remember Len getting very upset about that and threatening to call Dennis personally to have you thrown in airgun jail...or something.

I spent last evening perusing examples of the various .223 offerings before I got back to you and it looks visually like they all have at least a 28" barrel. My feeling is it's easier to trim than to stretch a barrel so for the extra $10 might as well say 30". We need to hit a very narrow band of velocity to optimize the twist and the more things we can get in our favor the easier that's going to be.
    I've never used TJ's liners but a lot of blanks have a minimum amount you need to trim off. Is this the case with these liners?

I would need at least 28" to be able to snuggle a 250cc tube in underneath it and have it look right visually. And it still wouldn't be a crazy big rifle. It lands right in the middle range of the Remington 700

I was also thinking that if there ever was a an ideal time for an airstripper this would be it.
    Last edited by SeanMP; Jul 20 2012 at 06:16 AM.
    Sean

I talked to Mike again, and he has a 0.223" liner with a 16" twist.... If we want a 0.223" with a 14" twist and 6 lands it would be $300.... If only 4 lands a bit less....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Looking forward to hearing about your two-block setup, Sean.... I've been giving the design some preliminary thoughts as well.... I'm leaning towards a Hayabusa-based design.... Regulated plenum of about 115cc with a single-ended valve (ie effectively 115cc valve).... That will keep the average pressure during the shot within about 5% of the regulator setpoint with a 100 FPE output.... It could be run from a 22CI tank (acting as the forestock) and/or tethered to a 4500 psi regulated bottle or SCUBA tank.... In case you forgot, here's what it looks like....

It would be a simple matter to use a lower block with the valve and hammer inside and attach the 1" CrMoly tube to the front of it for a plenum.... Alternately, eliminate the regulator, turn the tank around, and screw it directly to the front of the block and run unregulated.... Lots of possibilities....

Bob

I talked to Mike, and he can do 30" no problem in the .224" x 14" twist x 1/2" OD, and IIRC, they are about 1/4"-1/2" over, typically.... They are hammer forged CrMoly, so if they have a section that needs trimming off, I would guess he does that first.... Since we're paying by the inch, I'm sure it will all be usuable.... I'll get a MO on Tuesday when we are in town and have them shipped directly to you....

Geez, add an airstripper and you'll be pushing 4 feet (or more).... "give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around".... This is getting exciting, I spent a restless night with "visions of airgun parts dancing in my head"....

Any more songs you wanna hear?.... NOT !!!

Bob

Sounds an interesting project...will be following along. :)

You may want to talk to Charlie (Roachcreek)...he's been using cast bullets (custom mold from LBT) in his .25 Condor. Believe the barrel is an LW, but he cut the choke off and re-crowned, altered the chamber and leade...with a "hillbilly lathe" yet. lol

Results speak volumes though...

http://www.talonairgun.com/forum/vie...&highlight=lbt

Searching the TAG for "LBT" will turn up a thread or two. ;)

Now, if Charlie can get results like that from a Condor with it's frame flex, half assed barrel mounting and cant issues due to scope height above bore...makes a fellow (well me anyways) wonder what a more rigidly designed "proper" rifle could manage.

Al

Lol...thats what happens when you try and do calculations at 11pm the night before shift change.

I used the diameter not the radius...whoops!
    Sean

Yeah, I won't be trying to fit that into my Hayabusa.... this would be an entirely new design, stealing your double block style.... The MRod stock on the Hayabusa is heavy, and I was thinking an all metal double tanker would be pretty cool.... It would be very useful for Big Bores and my .410 Air Shotgun project as well.... The ergonomics are the problem, to get the rear tank to function properly as the stock/cheekpiece.... Not having a Condor, I'm pretty much in the dark on that part of the equation.... It might be a mockup kinda deal.... One problem I haven't solved is how to do an RVA with the rear tank in the way.... any ideas on that?.... Removing the tank to do hammer spring adjustments is NOT acceptable....

Bob

HI Sean.... The 5/8" OD Carbon tube for $25 sounds like a winner, count me in....

Eric.... I apologize for my teasing about Len.... However, when people make quotes, they should quote the entire verbage.... "IMO, Dennis may have used the wrong hammer spring in my gun".... Reading only what you want to read, and then continuing to argue about it in the face of continued explanations can only be for the purpose of causing and/or continuing an argument.... What's the point?....

Bob

+ Reply to Thread