ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts About Penetration

Well Bob there is a 30 min window to edit posts. Oppps I reread your original post and have to repost to correct my errors.

Hi Andy, ... and thus proving that desperation is the father of invention. An idea after my own heart... superglue as a tool to increase pellet weight. You machinists can chuck that in your lathe and spin it Huh? he he he

Seriously, Bob I am impressed. I really appreciate you guys doing all the heavy lifting. Of course I have a question for you Bob.... So if we look at velocity at impact...?

Theoretically the Youtube "dealer" advice that you cannot take any type of small game with .177 or with CO2 would be a marketing driven conclusion.????

From your charts I might assume that maybe even a detuned CO2 target pistol in .177 could possibly be adequate for small pest extermination... based on muzzle velocity, close range, and mathematical constructs; assuming average muzzle velolcity and then crunching the drag numbers to get fps at distance of the intended impact.

Thanks guys,

I tried to avoid making any "recommendations".... the charts are to allow comparisons between pellets of different calibers and to put things in perspective.... Which chart you use for how big an animal becomes a matter of personal skill (shot placement), pellet choice (expansion?) and preference.... However, there is no question that some small pesting, and even effective hunting, can be done with non-PAL guns at close range.... just ask those who have done it successfully....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

I was just thinking about this thread and realized that for any given caliber, the penetration is proportional to the momentum of the pellet.... Just an interesting observation....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

I've found that in most "typical" small game hunting situations, there is scant little time to pick and choose your shot. I've been passing up a lot of birds over this.

I've got a little more power this year- we'll see if it's enough to properly expand the Predator's I'm so enamored of...

Grouse season opens here on Friday. I'll have to replace the water pump in the truck first, before I can "head her out"...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

I used to take into consideration expansion on impact when choosing pellets for hunting but now I simply choose the most accurate based on the fact that if you scale the pellet to the size of the game as in maybe a Grackle then it would be in comparison like you being hit with a pellet the size of your fist or say as large as a rabbit it would be like you and a pellet the diameter of a Loonie. The associated trama would be significant and shot placement would be more important especially if the target was slightly missed then penetration would be more likely to be fatal, so instead of just breaking a wing or a shoulder the pellet continues on to vitals.

+ Reply to Thread