ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we have this forum "Tapatalk enabled"?

Can we have this forum "Tapatalk enabled"?

http://www.tapatalk.com

Makes for much easier use when on a mobile device and is free to do so...
    "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should..."

Hiya Joel.

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should..."?

Al

Al raises a good point.

Tapatalk is not only sold as an "app" (is it a "free" app- I don't know), it appears to be a data collector as well- as in it gets plugged into a forum and it is collecting data (perhaps only as applicable to itself/it's own use on the forum- but nonetheless, data) that is sent back to the Tapatalk system as far as I can determine. One of their income sources is trying to sell it as a "branded" product- as in a custom-labelled version for a specific forum- i.e. the "CanadianAirguns.com App" at $800.00 plus development fees. This is not a requirement apparently, but I understand they are a bit aggressive in trying to sell people on it at times. Neither here nor there- this would bear some more investigation in any event.

The bigger question is; 'will it encourage people to post things much like they do in other mobile situations'?

I.e. will all posts be 1 sentence, or things like "I hv airguns 2- OMG! i C u do 2".

OK- I may be exaggerating that a bit, but will posts done on such an app on a mobile device truly reflect any useful content/contributions from people? Mobile devices don't tend to provoke people into communicating in a terribly useful or well-thought out manner in my experience- it becomes almost a "text" like method of communicating, and unfortunately means the quality of the communications tends to be rather low on average.

I may be wrong on this, and wouldn't mind seeing a device with the Tapatalk app. installed on it, and a forum allowing its use so I can get a better "feel" on it- but superficially it sounds as though it could potentially allow for more (which we have been fortunate thus far in avoiding) one line, irrelevant posts instead of good questions and good answers. There is a difference between a "forum" and a Facebook or such- a forum, at least in my view is supposed to be about real content, not 'social media'.

Perhaps I am wrong in this thinking?

I haven't bought the app yet (it's 3$ I think) but I'm really close. Being able to go on this or other forums from my phone seems like a great idea to me.
    When using my phone to post I don,t change my answers or the way I answer, maybe I'm too old to talk like that (I hv airguns 2- OMG! i C u do 2). To me the point of getting a phone with a large screen and a full keyboard was to type full words and not have to press the same button 7 times (because you do it too fast the first time and you have to start over).
    But there seems to be other applications that are similar to tapatalk that you can get "lite" (free) versions to try out and see if it suits you.
    What seems interesting is being able to take a few pics with my phone and post them right away without the need to go thru picasa or other hosting sites.
    I don't know, I may be the exception but I won't shorten my comments because I'm on my phone (even if it's an old iPhone 3Gs).

You can already post pictures on this forum without using some third-party picture hosting site. If one of the features of this Tapatalk is to allow this without using a third-party site on a forum that does not have this feature would mean Tapatalk is hosting the photos- taking us back to what we want to avoid- some other party holding pictures relevant to forum posts- if they go out of business or such, all the photos disappear.

Anyone know how this works?
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Let me ask another question- why 'Tapatalk' instead of another app/program- i.e. something like TouchBB : http://www.touchbb.com/

or another similar product? What makes Tapatalk special?
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Well Tapatalk has over 10 million users worldwide and is generally considered "the best" forum App...

As for people not typing full messages? I really doubt that would be an issue. If you spend money on the App and are taking time to read threads I see no reason to short form spam the forum. Not to mention with all the features of phone today I can type just as quickly as I could on my computer, or just use speech-to-text. Personally I will use Tapatalk on my phone over my actual computer, ease of access is arguably better...In fact I basically refuse to browse any forum on my phone without it.

If you like I can post some pictures of me browsing a forum via Tapatalk, it is the only App I have ever paid for...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    You can already post pictures on this forum without using some third-party picture hosting site. If one of the features of this Tapatalk is to allow this without using a third-party site on a forum that does not have this feature would mean Tapatalk is hosting the photos- taking us back to what we want to avoid- some other party holding pictures relevant to forum posts- if they go out of business or such, all the photos disappear.

Anyone know how this works?
    I have not posted any pictures via Tapatalk, I will try it out and see what is going on in regards to pictures...It may be uploading directly from your phone, which kills data, and is no use if you run more than 1 memory card....ill see what I can find out...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    Let me ask another question- why 'Tapatalk' instead of another app/program- i.e. something like TouchBB : http://www.touchbb.com/

or another similar product? What makes Tapatalk special?
    That's what I meant. By
    But there seems to be other applications that are similar to tapatalk that you can get "lite" (free) versions to try out and see if it suits you
    I don't know what the cost would be to you but if the app is free for us and you, just try it out and we'll report whatever we find.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGadget View Post
    That's what I meant. By
    I don't know what the cost would be to you but if the app is free for us and you, just try it out and we'll report whatever we find.
    This TouchBB App is not available for Android (and probably not Blackberry either)

Between the two that is a lot of people...myself included, Android FTW!!! lol

+ Reply to Thread