ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boss Valve

Banned

Boss Valve

Has anyone used the Boss Valve in a 2240 with steel breech and extended bolt,,stock barrel,,and do you just swap one for the other,,not sure where that would take the fps with a stock barrel,,
    Charlie

You would end up with a restricted ******. The boss valve is a direct replacement for the stock Crosman valve. If you are in Canada dont bother.

Banned
    A little correction,, the gun will be here this next week,,2240,,steel breech,,extended bolt,,brass breech end plug,,shoulder stock and a 14 in barrel.. and from another company the hexagon power adapter and hexagon tube plug,,and yet another company the extended bolt,,was going to get the Boss valve but not quite yet,,have to question the 14 in barrel,,these are all just swap one to the other till I get the feeling of the ******,,it's a one day read the book take the exam and no problem,,wait for the Feds to OK and send my card,,and all problems solved.
    Chas

..... It should be pretty close if not over 500 fps with a 14" barrel all by itself shouldn't it?

Yes, it will be very close to 500 fps if not over with the 14" barrel.... and almost certainly over in warm weather.... The problem with Restircted guns is that you can's shoot them anywhere but an approved range, and you need a permit to transport them even to there.... No hunting, no backyard practice, no shooting on crown land.... pretty much a waste, IMO....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

I think some more needs to be added here;

Throwing a raft of parts into one gun, which are all oriented at apparently increasing the power output, beyond turning it into a "Restricted Firearm" by legal definition, is for all intents and purposes, likely only throwing money away.

A 2240 stock valve is still putting out more Co2 than a pellet can use effectively with a 14" barrel- using a higher-flowing valve will gain you 10% more power, at a 50% Co2 consumption increase. Other modifications, such as expanding the transfer port, adding a "power adjuster" (instead of a $2.00 spring) will gain such a gun virtually nothing but increased Co2 consumption.

If a 24" barrel were used, then these sorts of modifications would be more effective, but many would still be counterproductive unless the ONLY goal is maximum power output with no regard for "fuel" consumption. If this were the goal, then I might suggest dropping Co2 completely and going with HPA- but this would then mean a different valve configuration (i.e. a Disco valve at less than half the price of a "Boss" valve), fill port and then the accompanying HPA-required pieces (tank/pump/hoses).

My advice is to stop reading everything from soup-to-nuts and ordering parts. Get the gun in your hands, shoot it, experiment with it, then decide what is/isn't working to your satisfaction- don't just throw sh!t at the wall and spend money and hope it all sticks.

As an example, and this happens more frequently than I'm sure people will admit- they order every "custom" part they can find, sit down and try to install them in one sitting- and nothing works correctly. The first problem is that they didn't have a real "plan" and thought dumping everything into a gun at once would make them the penultimate product, the second problem is that by not installing one, maybe two parts, reassembling everything, testing and ensuring everything is adjusted correctly, and then installing the next part, testing, and so on- they end up with a mess on their hands and have to start all over again- having wasted hours up to that point. One thing to note as well is that perhaps some parts won't work well with others- "custom" parts are sold as a piece that will work, as stated, assuming no other changes are made to the stock gun. Once custom part "A" is put in a gun with custom part "B", all bets are off as to how things will interact. This is where a thorough reading of the available materials (online) is in order to find out if/where someone else did the same modifications and what came out of it- but throwing money into a 'project' yet to be started is not likely to get you where you want without being forced to buy other parts that correct issues caused by some of these previously-purchased items.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Banned
    I read and read some very good advice threads,,first off a stock 2240 can get close to 462 fps,,rarely does,,from all the posts I've read,,it's just getting a steel breech and extended bolt,,keeping it still a stock 2240 but with stronger better parts,,adding a power adjuster just lets you control power up or down close to the 500 fps rule,,the 14 in barrel will not be going on and the thought of a boss valve was ruled out in favor of a power adjuster for much better control over fps velocities,,can play with various pellet weights to find the sweet spot,,have access to a chrony chronograph for testing and pellets will not exceed 500 fps when out,,all I'm going to do is put in higher quality parts,,is that the wrong way to go ???
    Charlie

If you can adjust the velocity over 500 fps with the RVA, I would suggest that won't comply with the rules if it's ever tested....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Banned
    I will test the stock 2240 when it comes and again after the steel breech and extended bolt is changed over and will know if there are any changes in fps with the higher quality parts,,if then the fps stays close to the limit then there is no need to go any further,,the extra parts purchased,,power adjuster and barrel were minimal cost but have them just in case the advertised fps isn't there and can play at it,,the barrel length and breech design is deliberate to keep the fps below the 500 fps rule,,cutting down the 14 in barrel bit by bit for better accuracy barring in mind to find the short of 500 fps barrel length is the fun in pistol shooting,,take everything away from the ****** and put the onus on the shooter,,and getting my license for bigger bore is that I miss moose hunting and maybe have a one more chance with a few friends for a good hunt left in me.
    Charlie

The 14" barrel will likely put you over 500fps by itself. Adding a power adjuster will put it higher- as would using a $2.00 spring. The point of a 'power adjuster' it not to simply increase the power- it is called an "adjuster" for a reason- so the power can be adjusted based on things like shot count or power vs. Co2 consumption. Unless you plan on moving the power level up/down for your purposes (i.e. 5m shooting vs. 15m shooting) it is a waste of time to be used as a device for the purposes of increasing the power only.

And, has been pointed out, it doesn't matter if it's adjustable to below 500fps- it is can be adjusted to above 500fps- it will be a "Restricted Firearm" in the view of the RCMP/CFC. If you want to remain below 500fps, cut the hammer spring until you only get to 500fps with the adjuster screwed all the way in, you will not have a 'firearm' and you can still adjust downward depending on shooting conditions.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

+ Reply to Thread