ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch Canada HW 97 KT (WIC-AR-022) anybody have any opinions on this rifle?

Weihrauch Canada HW 97 KT (WIC-AR-022) anybody have any opinions on this rifle?

I realize it's heavy, but is there a better under 500fps rifle on the market? Thanks for the input.

I have one and it shoots well with minimum recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by MRACER View Post
    I realize it's heavy, but is there a better under 500fps rifle on the market? Thanks for the input.
    We need more info to give you the better answer...
    It depends on what you mean by "better" it's a quite general term. Do you mean more powerful? More accurate? Cheaper?
    There is more accurate but it will cost you more money, there is more powerful but you may need a PAL it depends if are you talking about a .177 or .22
    Give us better info of what you're looking for in a rifle and we'll give you a better answer

wish to compare non PAL rifles-better is an all around term encompassing- accuracy, quality of build etc. I realize this is a tuff question for under 500 fps rifles--like to hear all opinions please- thanks!

In springers it's pretty much the top of the line BUT you can get a PCP in non-PAL, they will be easier to shoot with accuracy.
    If you wish to stay with the higher end of the airgun world you should stay with the european manufacturers.
    If you want to give the darkside (PCP) a try some new things came to Canada recently (Brocock, Evanix) or you can go a bit cheaper with the Hatsan line of PCP.
    What airgun experience/history to you have? What are your expectations? Do you want to hunt with it or target shoot?
    I don't think you could be disapointed with a HW97 but you might be able to find something that's more suited to what you want to do with it.

i HAVE A GAMMO handgun, decided to give up my PAL, but have several pre 1896 handguns which I shoot at the range- just felt the need for a long gun for plinking, maybe a squirel? which is why I think a 22cal would be better than 177. Reached that stage of life, where I follow the---"I AM A POOR MAN AND THEREFORE CAN NOT AFFORD TO BUY CHEAP STUFF" RULE. lol If price is an indicator, I thought this would be one of the better ones as I was leaning to the Sheridan trail untill I came upon this unit which is priced at 733.53 from D&L- about double the cost of the Sheridan. Of course a scope would have to be added, so any hints on a good scope would also be appreciated. Thanks

I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by MRACER View Post
    i HAVE A GAMMO handgun, decided to give up my PAL, but have several pre 1896 handguns which I shoot at the range- just felt the need for a long gun for plinking, maybe a squirel? which is why I think a 22cal would be better than 177. Reached that stage of life, where I follow the---"I AM A POOR MAN AND THEREFORE CAN NOT AFFORD TO BUY CHEAP STUFF" RULE. lol If price is an indicator, I thought this would be one of the better ones as I was leaning to the Sheridan trail untill I came upon this unit which is priced at 733.53 from D&L- about double the cost of the Sheridan. Of course a scope would have to be added, so any hints on a good scope would also be appreciated. Thanks
    Like I said you surely won't be deceived by the HW97 (I have yet to see someone who is) but PCP's are sooooo nice!

that is a nice scope reasonably priced and due to the fact you are well connected I would assume it is compatible with air guns- I heard air guns had different requirements for shock absorb compared to a rifle scope- Was I misinformed? thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post

The "airgun" rating on scopes has been over-stated the last few years. 'Way back when' a regular rifle scope was constructed one way, an "airgun" scope another- i.e. polyurethane insulators vs. more flexible rubber-type products and/or design and build quality/tolerances. As time has moved on, most modern scopes from 'name brand' manufacturers are manufactured exactly the same way with the same materials, "airgun" or not.

That being said, and this has always held true- the more moving bits inside a scope, the more the likelihood of it breaking in any environment- so the less "features" and the less variable magnification range (a "set" magnification would be the best)- the more likely it will stay together in a harsh environment. A 3-9x would tend to have less potential issues than would a 8-32, for example.

The other thing is, many manufacturers also have a lifetime "no questions asked" warranty- as in they can't discriminate against you for using the product on an airgun. This is not a justification it and of itself- no one wants to get a scope that will fall apart every 100 shots even if it will be repaired/replaced by the manufacturer- the scope will still cost money in shipping and could be out for repair more than it's on a rifle. Nonetheless, it means if you end up with a unit that can't hold up behind your magnum-powered (i.e. 1200fps) springer, you can move it to something less powerful and try again.

And yes, the 3-9x Bushnell linked above should hold up A-Ok behind a 97- detuned or not.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

+ Reply to Thread