ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 500 fps limits

The term "prohibited device" is what the law attaches to such things- whether they be "silencers" or AK-47s or 'replica' BB guns or switchblade knives- and they all carry the same potential legal penalties (yes, despite the fact a 'replica' BB gun is nowhere near as potentially harmful as an AK-47- you can be locked up for either for years). It's the old "flexible Canadian law" at work- be vague about something, then make a list of things that fall under this law (part of the Criminal Code of Canada), and leave it open-ended so anything can be changed at any time (typically by adding items to said list, not removing them).

In any event- discussing the technicalities of devices which are flat-out illegal for essentially everyone (excluding the military and specialized police divisions) in an online forum oriented at Canada/Canadians is just plain asking for trouble- for everyone.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

In any event- discussing the technicalities of devices which are flat-out illegal for essentially everyone (excluding the military and specialized police divisions) in an online forum oriented at Canada/Canadians is just plain asking for trouble- for everyone.

Agreed.

However...

I like the long 4 or so in. brass muzzel brake with front site post on it and holes around that the tops are enlarged,,mailed a dealer down here and asked if they could order one on a request from me
    The item he describes is not a problem. Muzzle BRAKES are fine. The problem is that he has misinterpreted the devices function...I'll mark that down to the widespread misuse of terminology prevalent on the various airgun forums.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Gippeto View Post
    Agreed.

However...

The item he describes is not a problem. Muzzle BRAKES are fine. The problem is that he has misinterpreted the devices function...I'll mark that down to the widespread misuse of terminology prevalent on the various airgun forums.

Al
    You're most probably right.
    Muzzle brake while not reducing the report can change how the report is heard and may seem less loud to the guy next door directing most of the noise towards the shooter and most times that's all that's needed.

I suspect this is what occurs when people read, but don't ask alot of questions- it often leads to misinterpretation due to poor language in the posts being read or poor explanations being offered.

Just to try and minimize any further confusion for new people; a muzzle brake, depending on it's design, may reduce the perceived "report" of the gun by either the shooter or the 'audience' depending on design, but it cannot (will not if it is a "brake") reduce the actual report- only directs the noise somewhere else- i.e. towards the shooter/away from the shooter.

Banned
    It also says,,although a specific suppressor may be installed on an unregulated low power air gun,,not firearm,,what is the official name given for the device that all air gun stores sell that go on the end of the barrel and are called brakes ETC,,
    Chas

No suppressor can be installed on anything- we used to debate this sort of thing a number of years ago- but the bottom line is "prohibited device"- not "prohibited device depending on what it is used on"- if it can be attached to a "non-firearm" it can also be attached to a "firearm". The key word here is "device"- not the specific item to which it is attached. If you owned a suppressor that could be used on a firearm and attached it to your garden trowel, it is still a "prohibited device" irrelevant to its current disposition.

The device attached to, and that can be bought for airguns (and regular firearms) are "brakes" or "muzzle weights"- and in the case of regular powderburners they could also be flash arrestors, but none are 'suppressors' or 'silencers' and cannot legally suppress the overall sound output level (i.e. dB reduction capability). This is applicable to Canada- in other parts of the world a suppression devices may be completely legal- i.e. the UK, the Netherlands, etc. Nobody is suggesting the laws in Canada are all that sensible- only that they are what they are.

Banned
    So it's the name given to them..muzzle brake,, that allows the user of an air pistol to attach it to the end of the barrel.
    Charlie

Not so Charlie, folks can call a spade a diamond if they so choose, but in the end it IS a spade when Johnny law comes a callin.

It's a misuse of terminology...There are many devices on the net being called "muzzle brakes", some are simple weights, others ARE muzzle brakes, while some....are in reality silencers...which as per Erics wishes will not be discussed.

Muzzle brakes redirect muzzle gases to reduce recoil or otherwise have an affect upon the rifle/pistol. There are two basic types...recoil reducing...and compensating which directs the gases upward in an effort to keep the muzzle down.

brake4.JPG

yhm-3156_sm.jpg

Then there are air strippers, which will have a cone (usually adjustable) to strip muzzle blast from behind the projectile and redirect it.

2dmbe47.jpg

So far, all somewhat similar..yes? None of the above devices will reduce the muzzle report, and are all entirely legal.

Clear as mud? :)

Al

Banned
    Is this a forum where your limited as to what you say or it's not posted.

Wow...I really like the double cone air stripper

Just showing off Al ?
    Sean

+ Reply to Thread