ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 500 fps limits

Hybrid View

Cutting down the "report" and you have a suppressor (which is a "prohibited device" in Canada). This is not cool to be talking about on a Canadian forum- please take such questions to another forum.

If suppressors are brought up again here, I will be forced to lock this topic thread.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    Cutting down the "report" and you have a suppressor (which is a "prohibited device" in Canada). This is not cool to be talking about on a Canadian forum- please take such questions to another forum.

If suppressors are brought up again here, I will be forced to lock this topic thread.
    They're not only prohibited but a silencer alone is considered a prohibited firearm even without being attached to anything.
    So it's a BAD idea.
    If you want a legal "silencer" you can take a cardboard box cut two large holes to put the pistol and see your target and line it with carpet or foam and it will lower your report without being a silencer or even attached to the gun (or just crack a window or door open and shoot outside from inside the house, most of the sound will stay inside the house and won't bother your neighbors).

Banned
    Is this a forum where your limited as to what you say or it's not posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    No Sir
    In order to avoid any problems with the law or members being investigated by the law or ending up on a "watch" list. We do not discuss things which are outright illegal for any Canadian in any circumstances.

But we have to edit or remove or lock the thread. There is no time lag during which someone decides yes or no
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    You cannot talk about subjects that are flat-out illegal in Canada, period.

Want to beat your wife? Not talked about here.
    Want to kill you neighbour? Not talked about here.
    Want to hump dead gophers? Not talked about here (and yes I am assuming this is illegal, but don't have definitive proof of it).
    Want to talk about suppression devices? Not talked about here.

While some people may be relatively new to this airgun thing, it doesn't mean the law is new to it as well. If a Canada-based online forum, with Canadian 'ownership' is viewed by legal authorities as promoting illegal activities, we all get under the microscope- maybe only people here, maybe all airgunners across the country. Putting that aside- what is the point of discussing such things here? There are plenty of resources to find what you apparently seek elsewhere- use them if you like- but keep in mind if you construct something illegal you will be the one who may face a penalty under the law. Attempting to discuss such things here is not appropriate.

I think the idea of airstrippers and true "brakes" is a very worthwhile thing to discuss- not illegal BS.

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    You cannot talk about subjects that are flat-out illegal in Canada, period.

Want to beat your wife? Not talked about here.
    Want to kill you neighbour? Not talked about here.
    Want to hump dead gophers? Not talked about here (and yes I am assuming this is illegal, but don't have definitive proof of it).
    Want to talk about suppression devices? Not talked about here.
    You sure we can't talk about killing our neighbour? Come on... pleeeeaaase just the one on the left, the other ones are fine

Wow...I really like the double cone air stripper

Just showing off Al ?
    Sean

Dang! Multiple people typing at the same time!

I think there are lots of historical examples of this that would set a persons mind at ease.

The item is assessed in the "as found" condition.

I just looked into this question on a powderburner issue and got the same response.

Back in the day it used to be a pretty common practice to convert surplus military rifles into sporters. A common issue was the mag capacity was over the legal limit but you could have a gunsmith convert the mag or buy one off the shelf. So, the rifle could be illegal again if you put in an original mag but as long as you were using the legal mag all is fine.

Another issue was barrel length. Some of the carbines fell .1 or .2 below legal so a gunsmith would have to fit a muzzle extension. As long as the muzzle extension was fitting with red loctite it could not be removed by "ordinary means" and thus was legal.
    That may be the answer to your HPA question.
    Sean

The term "prohibited device" is what the law attaches to such things- whether they be "silencers" or AK-47s or 'replica' BB guns or switchblade knives- and they all carry the same potential legal penalties (yes, despite the fact a 'replica' BB gun is nowhere near as potentially harmful as an AK-47- you can be locked up for either for years). It's the old "flexible Canadian law" at work- be vague about something, then make a list of things that fall under this law (part of the Criminal Code of Canada), and leave it open-ended so anything can be changed at any time (typically by adding items to said list, not removing them).

In any event- discussing the technicalities of devices which are flat-out illegal for essentially everyone (excluding the military and specialized police divisions) in an online forum oriented at Canada/Canadians is just plain asking for trouble- for everyone.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

+ Reply to Thread